Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Observations of SVO vs. new Ecoboost during the Reunion trip....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SVOPaul
    replied
    Originally posted by Bruce View Post
    I went head to head in Tulsa on the drag strip with a 2019 Ecoboost and he ran 14.3 at 101? I also ran 14.3 at 101 in my modded 86. I wonder where you found a second.
    Depends if his car had the 101A package with track modes. I had mine set in drag race mode. If he had a base model then there is no choice other than basic slow mode. Also if he had been running back to back and had a stock intercooler he could slow down from heat soak but I didn't experience that kind of loss. I still have an intercooler for it but just haven't had the time to install it...I need to do that.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce
    replied
    I went head to head in Tulsa on the drag strip with a 2019 Ecoboost and he ran 14.3 at 101? I also ran 14.3 at 101 in my modded 86. I wonder where you found a second.

Leave a comment:

• Observations of SVO vs. new Ecoboost during the Reunion trip....

So since I am still trying to get parts from Griggs which have been unavailable for some time, I had to take the new Shop mule '20 Ecoboost to the Reunion. I had never tossed it around an autocross before thanks to the brake pedal bracket recall I had to wait on. Ty and I drove up to Chicago and noticed that at each fuel stop with speeds around 75mph we were within a gallon of each other filling up and the Eco was showing 29mpg avg. That shows how far ahead of it's time the SVO was...even with Ty's car modified he was getting some great fuel economy! Now on the way back we crested into the low to mid 80's and that's where the mileage started getting farther apart with me still getting 29mph.

The new Mustang is much larger than the SVO, I've noticed being used to foxes that I am often off getting lined up in parking spaces so I was worried about wiping out cones with the wider car. Curb weight of the Ecoboost coupe is 3542 lbs so it's a bit heavier than the SVO. Now mine is the 10 speed automatic and before you give me crap for getting an auto...a few factors led to this decision. I drove a McLaren around Barbers with paddle shifter and it was great...so once I found out in my early exploration that the Eco had paddle shift I knew I could still track it. The wife pushed for an auto and since I made her the owner of the business over 20 years ago I took that into consideration. For drag racing you can't beat the auto....it just pulls and pulls. The car bone stock managed a 13.3 @ 104mph in the quarter first pass which was impressive imo. But the autocross was going to be a challenge in an automatic regardless. So there are a few options and I chose Sport + mode over Track because it was a fast course with a sealed lot and I didn't want to step the back end out as always seems to be the case with the Evolution SVO and sport + keeps some traction control. I tried manual shifting it with the paddles but it seemed too delayed in command so I switched back to letting it shift on it's own. I was on 300 treadwear Federal Evoluzion tires and I didn't change tire pressure at all. The car pushed a lot and while the back end did come loose the traction control helped keep it planted....so the biggest issue seemed to be the pushing. But no cones were harmed so I'll consider that a win!

In the end and these times are from Memory as they haven't posted the results yet....the fastest SVO was Doug at I think a 39.6 followed by Ted with a 39.9 and I came in at a 40.9 with the new Eco just edging out Bruce but Bruce also popped a head gasket and didn't have the afternoon run to try to better his time. So all in all still really close group as always seems to be the case each year.

So in the future if you're SVO is down for any reason and you have an ecoboost Mustang(essentially the modern SVO), bring it out and we can pitch a new vs. old competition at the autocross....In the meantime I'm ordering swaybars and a set of springs for the new car.
Working...
X