SVO article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SVO article

I came across this and thought I'd post it here.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/g...me-186215.html

Just all the things we've known for years..
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

Comment

Very nice article... I believe enthusiasts really do like the car.

Had a great time at the recent MCA National in Florence, SC sharing the history of my particular example. Being the only SVO on the show field and one of only four "four eyed fox bodies", the car generated a lot of attention. All of the usual comments; I remember test driving one of these back in the day, or I had one of these, or even better yet, I have one of these at home. When asked why they don't bring it out I get the usual; it needs some work or it doesn't look near as nice as yours or most common I can't find parts to fix it up.
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Thanks for that article, this is a flashback for me. I was a Ford engineer on the 2.3L OHC engine development group in Dearborn and supervised test programs on this engine and the predecessor carbureted turbo. That photo of the Ford three-piece-suit SVO dweebs standing behind the SVO, I recognize a number of those guys beside Kranefuss (sp?). My dept. manager is standing in the middle, can't remember his name. I purchased an 86 last October with 18k miles and have pretty much completed a restore. Once I get connected with some Ford events in my locale (SE MI), will be sure to show it off. Hopefully will meet some other SVO enthusiasts.

Just to mention I have a copy of SAE paper on the development of the 2.3L EFI engine. It's a pdf file so can't upload this, not an image file. Wondering how I might share this? Could make jpeg or each page or create Google slide show and publish it to web and post link?

Comment

rickshaw, No kidding that is pretty cool! You were one of the actual wrenches behind the suits?

You should be able to upload a PDF, just click on the "Upload Attachments" button, select the file and then click on "Insert" and voila! I would love to see a copy of that paper, since you are offering to share a copy.

I did stumble across a couple newer YouTube videos on our beloved SVO's out there as well. Guess "Fox Fever" is pulling our little buggers into the spotlight too. Kind of neat.

https://youtu.be/guOMqryonwo

https://youtu.be/QOL7KsI4q0o

https://youtu.be/g1Fs9oE7T9Y
          Ted
          86 SVO Mustang
          17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

Thanks. I did attempt to upload my pdf but size of 12MB exceeded limit of 9.54 MB. Maybe I will split the in two parts and retry.

Comment

Ah, you found the file size limit, that would certainly prevent an upload. If you have issues splitting it up, let me know.
              Ted
              86 SVO Mustang
              17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

OK, rescanned 1984 SAE Paper 840251 Turbocharging the 1983 1/2 - 1984 Ford 2.3 OHC Engine in two parts. This was a pre-publication copy. I worked with the authors Hank and Tom. I had moved out of the 2.3 development group to the Valvetrain Engineering department by then. I inserted text and the figure 13 into the draft. It was literally cut and paste on paper. I was then developing the roller camshaft valvetrain that became production in the twin-plug EFI engine. If I'm not mistaken, the EFI engines were built at Ford's EP in Taubate, Brazil. The pistons were forged aluminum suppled by Metal Leve in Brazil, later to become owned by MAHLE. I ended my professional career at MAHLE as director of sales and application engineering to Ford globally. Lots of Ford engines with MAHLE inside, too many to list.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rickshaw View Post
                  ...That photo of the Ford three-piece-suit SVO dweebs standing behind the SVO, I recognize a number of those guys beside Kranefuss (sp?). ...
                  Did you happen to know the guy 5th from the left (with the glasses - last name Rogers)? I worked with his daughter on one of my previous assignments at Ford Motor Co. She mentioned this photo when she found out I had an SVO.

Funny story - she used to work at GM, when she came to work for us at Ford she said "Now I can hang my Dad's SVO photo in my office."

"If there's no plan, what can go wrong...?"

Comment

Sorry, while I recognize his and other faces, I can't remember his name. Can't even remember my boss's name! All I knew, if they had on a three piece suit, I had to pay attention, they were some big muckety muck :-)

Comment

Very cool article to read, thank you for sharing that!
                      85.5 1E in the house.

Comment

Working...
                      X