No announcement yet.

JTurbo's 86 SVO - Part Deux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, by the way, I pulled out the cam tonight and the bearings don't look so hot there either.....
    86 SVO 1C

Comment

back to the oil filter

whats the best thing about the 79er

free parking

-RICH-
      < - - - Brothers From Different Mothers

Comment

Hmmm, wonder if that filter wasn't doing its job? Didn't you say it was dry/no oil in it?
        -Eric
        85 1C, 85.5 1B
        10 GT Premium
        01 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Couldn't the filter have a defect and not allow circulation?
          -Eric
          85 1C, 85.5 1B
          10 GT Premium
          01 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Again, based on the amount of bearing shrapnel in the Pan, I'm leaning towards the drop in oil pressure as a result of the screen on the pickup being blocked. The engine noise started before the pressure drop.

I'm dropping the whole enchilada at the machine shop tomorrow. Hopefully he will be able to take a quick peak at the engine while I'm there....
            86 SVO 1C

Comment

Small update - picked up the head today. Machine shop installed all new bearings. These are the only shots I can offer for now. But I will be getting back to work on the car now that I've checked off some "honey-do" projects

86 SVO 1C

Comment

Baby steps...

Since it's been cold in the garage, I've been in the basement preping the motor. First thing was to check out the used short block that I'll be using {temporarily} until the original block can be repaired. Crank bearings look good. Rod bearings have seen better days so I pulled all the pistons:

#1 Rod bearing:

#2:

#3:

#4:
                86 SVO 1C

Comment

I've been cleaning up the block (oil around the front crank and aux pullies) Still need to clean more (gasket surfaces, etc) and prep for paint:

I'll polish the rod journals and platigauge before I install new bearings:

I ordered most of the "stuff" that I'll need to put the engine back together. Got a good deal at Autozone for the oil pump ($42 with tax). The rest of the stuff should be in next week (gasket kit & rod bearings)...

That's all for now folks. As stated in the title, baby steps - but I'm moving along!
                  86 SVO 1C

Comment

Yes, I see lots of copper. I guess it's common to see it like that with the majority of the wear on the one side?
                    My wife says it's a sickness...what do you think?

Comment

Oh, quick question - what at the torque specs for both the main and rod caps???
                      86 SVO 1C

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaBOY View Post
                        Yes, I see lots of copper. I guess it's common to see it like that with the majority of the wear on the one side?
                        Yeah, I have no clue how many miles are on the short block. All the bearings with copper are the upper rod half (top) nearest the piston.

The nice thing is that the bores are in great shape with no ridge at the top what so ever
                        86 SVO 1C

Comment

Good stuff there Professor Fleming. I cal'd my clicker tonight. It was off a "few"...

Start re-assembly of the "budget" short block this weekend

Originally posted by MikeFleming
                          Go to Sears (least expensive) and get a low-range, 0-50 Ft-Lbs, beam-type manual torque wrench ($25?). Attach a socket between it and your clicker wrench and clamp the clicker in a vice. Set the clicker to a specific value and then use the beam-type to verify/test/set the clicker. Error on the low side. For example set the clicker to 25 and see what the beam measures as peak when it clicks. Then adjust the clicker setting till you get say 25 Ft-Lbs on the beam. Do Step 1 on all rods. Then set clicker to 35 and test/adjust it again. Then do Step 2 at 35.
                          86 SVO 1C

Comment

Huh... Clcker torque wrenches go out of calibration? How common is this? I've had mine for ten years, and used it as is when assembling my engine... Never been recalibrated.
                            If it ain't broke... Give me some time!

Comment

out of calibration???
                              My Dad ownd a service station back in the 70s... he said he's seen them be 10 ft pounds off in less than a month. (he had them calibrated monthly)
                              Eric C
                              SVOCA Webmaster

Comment

All parts are in so I put some time into the short block. Torqued the main bearings (installed a new rear main seal). Then I polished all the rod journals then replaced the rod bearings. Cleaned up the slugs and re-installed into the bores.

I checked the clearance on all the new rod bearings, all were around 0.0015:

Generous coating of engine assy lube and then torqued the rod caps per Mr. Flemings specs:

After all the slugs are in, installed the new oil pump and pickup:
                                86 SVO 1C

Comment

Working...
                                X