No announcement yet.

JTurbo's 86 SVO - Part Deux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More items off the winter to-do list. First was the rear pinion seal. Was leaking for a while now.

New seal installed, all buttoned up:

Had to make my own seal driving tool, this thing is 3" diameter:

When I started the floor repair, I noticed that the trans output seal was also leaking.
    Got that one replaced today as well:

And did an oil change while the SVO is up on jack stands. No pics of that.... :-)
    86 SVO 1C

Comment

• How was the surface of the pinion flange where the original seal rode? Mine was grooved, so based on what I read it would have either needed a sleeve or replacement to ensure no leaks...I opted for a replacement flange.
      Ted
      86 SVO Mustang
      17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

• Originally posted by svono50 View Post
        How was the surface of the pinion flange where the original seal rode? Mine was grooved, so based on what I read it would have either needed a sleeve or replacement to ensure no leaks...I opted for a replacement flange.
        Ted - it looked fine, but time will tell. I went to top off the diff tonight and my bottle of gear oil wasn't quite enough. That will have to wait until.
        86 SVO 1C

Comment

• This is my driver's side seat bolster repair.
          Here is what I started with:

Here is how much the worn side is compared to the other side (~ 1 inch)

I didn't take pics if the "redneck repair", but here is what it looks like back in the SVO:

Not perfect, but def much better than what I started with.

86 SVO 1C

Comment

• Tonight I got SVO down off jack stands tonight and cleaned up:

And returned the SVO back to the shed garage.

Was 18 degrees tonight when I swapped around the fleet, supposed to go down to the single digits.
            So I'm done working on it for now. Hope you enjoyed the winter maintenance / repairs!
            86 SVO 1C

Comment

• Originally posted by JTurbo View Post
              More items off the winter to-do list. First was the rear pinion seal. Was leaking for a while now.

Can anyone else just smell the diff leak?, hate gear oil....
              -Eric
              85 1C, 85.5 1B
              10 GT Premium
              01 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

• Originally posted by Erics SVO View Post

Haha Eric, actually it really wasn't that bad. I had replaced axle seals / bearings a few years ago, so the fluid was relative fresh.
                86 SVO 1C

Comment

• Originally posted by Erics SVO View Post

Heh, sometimes. I need to do that on our 86, 92 B4C Canary and 95 SS, but yeah, the smell is one of the small things holding me back. We're running Redline Synthetic ATF in the CP car, and it smells just like gear oil. Actually the smell is a bit stronger. It works well, though.

So was your 'redneck uhpolstery repair' just adding a layer of foam sheet, or two, to that side? I still have nightmares of our reuhpolstery work!
                  Gene Beaird,
                  86 2R SVO, G Stock,
                  Pearland, Texas

Comment

• Originally posted by gbeaird View Post

Heh, sometimes. I need to do that on our 86, 92 B4C Canary and 95 SS, but yeah, the smell is one of the small things holding me back. We're running Redline Synthetic ATF in the CP car, and it smells just like gear oil. Actually the smell is a bit stronger. It works well, though.

So was your 'redneck uhpolstery repair' just adding a layer of foam sheet, or two, to that side? I still have nightmares of our reuhpolstery work!
                    Yes, more or less. I taped the original foam so it didn't have that gaping hole then added a few layers of new foam over top.
                    Let's see how it holds up over time,,,,
                    86 SVO 1C

Comment

Working...
                    X