Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whoyacallem
    replied
    It took all year but I was finally able to get to an auto cross last Saturday NIGHT which was the last one for the year. By night I mean no track lights, just the car headlights.It was pretty interesting and not always easy to see the cones but still a lot of fun. It also got pretty cold, 45ish deg for the last 2 runs and I got to experience the difference between warm and cold tires.

Other than my care deciding to blow a ton of blue smoke on the first two runs for some reason, which I hadn't seen at all before, the car ran good on the 1.5 hr drive up and back. Pretty happy and looking forward to doing more events next year.

Leave a comment:

• whoyacallem
    replied
    We had that conversation a few times! How far it sunk in is up for debate... She's pretty careful but I was young once a long time ago.

Leave a comment:

• SVOeric
    replied
    A word of caution---
    MANY of these cars are wrecked because younger drivers are not 'ready' for the way the turbo 'hits' when it comes in, especially on wet roads..

Leave a comment:

• whoyacallem
    replied
    Thanks Eric, I was able to get a replacement that I made work. It now holds 15psi at WOT which it wasn't before. I think it's finally ready for a check up. This guy by us says he has done a bunch of work on turbo coupes and SVOs in the past so I hope to set up an appointment ​soon.
    I finally convinced my youngest daughter to drive it. I'm pretty sure she likes it better than the 89 GT...

Leave a comment:

• SVOeric
    replied
    you can't replace just the diaphragm on most external waste-gates. You have to replace the entire actuator. OR, if you're like me, you replace the entire turbo, with a bigger turbo...and a new waste-gate actuator

Leave a comment:

• whoyacallem
    replied
    Yes I put the MM panhard in. The car feels so planted now, the Bilsteins are so nice.

Looks like my wastegate diaphragm is bad. What is the fix for that? Replace the diaphragm or whole assembly?

Leave a comment:

• svono50
    replied
    You put in a MM panhard, correct? If so, that lateral link is the 'key' to preventing snap-back oversteer for sure. When I had my old drag racing rear arm setup it was very touch and go with stepping the back end out and I did end up facing traffic behind me more than once. Putting back in some stock uppers cured the snap-back oversteer, but brought back the rear end 'wiggle' we all know. Moving over to the Fays2 watts link took care of all that nonsense, just as a panhard does as well with a simpler setup...hey, I like a challenge.

Glad to hear you are getting some fun runs in on the ride now!

Leave a comment:

• whoyacallem
    replied
    I got the car back from the alignment appointment last week and have driven it a bit. Now I kinda think about it every day and try to find reasons to go somewhere in it. The car is a blast to drive! I was ripping through some corners with my daughter. She was sipping on a fresh blends from Kwik Trip like it was a normal drive. Got a little sideways and there was.... Nothing! No snap back, just glorious oversteer with a very controlled return to going straight again. So happy, the Bilsteins really make the ride firm but not punishing. Big thanks to Jack at maximum motorsports for putting the pieces together for me. I love this car!! Very anxious for a track day.

Leave a comment:

• 8t6svo
    replied
    pm sent

Leave a comment:

• whoyacallem
    replied
    The weather is kinda crazy this spring, eh? I have the car all loaded up and the ol' 250 is ready to go but my alignment appointment got changed to next Wednesday. That's ok with me as we got a little snow and a LOT of salt today. Finally at a point where a major cleaning was in order as my shop is a disaster.
    I have some parts that I don't know if someone would like to give a new home.

Lower front control arms, rear upper and lower, springs, charcoal canister, rear brake splash shields, koni quad shocks, cruise control, onion heads and those things on the bottom of the rear shocks.
    I know this isn't the classified section but I don't know if anything is really worth anything. I also have the original rack that needs rebuilding.

Anyhoo, weather permitting I can hopefully drive this thing next week.

​​​​is anyone planning on going to road America at all this year? I heard the Shelby weekend is a good option.

I forgot that I have the spare tire too...
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by whoyacallem; 03-31-2022, 08:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• svono50
    replied
    No problem. The distance between the axle/wheel center to the rear fender lip is 14-1/8", which is likely less than yours due to my taller tires for another point of reference.

Leave a comment:

• whoyacallem
    replied
    That is helpful, thank you for the fender lip measurement. It appears the limit for me is going to be the coil over spring perch location. I can't go much lower or it will rub on the inner sidewall so I'll get that where it has to be and level it off in the back.

Leave a comment:

• svono50
    replied
    As I noted, I am running the 42TA5 springs (375-440 lb/in), along with 245/45R17's and my fender lip to ground is 26.5". I don't have any issues with bottoming out, even with a Reunion road trip load of stuff in the car, so I have a feeling you can go a bit lower and still be OK.

Leave a comment:

• whoyacallem
    replied
    Those old step sides are my favorite! I didn't appreciate them until I got older though.

Finally got the car on the ground. At this ride height I have about 2.5" of clearance between the bump stops and rear axle.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220305_105703.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.1 KB ID:	213901225/50/16 tires maximum motorsports 43ta7 415-515 lb springs with the adjustable ride height lower control arms. I don't want to bottom out but would prefer to be a little lower. fender lip is 26.5" to the ground.

Put the fuel pressure gauge on too. Loading it up today for exhaust work and sub frame connectors install at some point hopefully soon.
    Last edited by whoyacallem; 03-05-2022, 04:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• svono50
    replied
    That is too funny, one of my best friends in high school had basically that exact 76 F100 stepside, but with a 302 and automatic. He ended up pulling the bed off and he and his Dad built a custom wood flatbed on it, his was silver.

Good to hear of your progress, keep it up and don't forget the pics!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X