Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSell
    replied
    I’ve got the engine bay back to stock, as close as it’s going to get. I live down 1/2 mile of gravel so cleaning it is a losing proposition. It runs great now. So much fun to drive! Snow is coming and it’ll have to sit inside for the winter. Hopefully I can get the seats recovered. It’ll always be warm inside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6A4DDEE3-E0A0-4679-A1A7-9807CE7637C3.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	214999

Leave a comment:

• gbeaird
    replied
    Nice! My 84 was a Canyon Red one, too!!

Leave a comment:

• MSell
    replied
    Bought the book from David Larocque, The Machine Speaks for Itself. Wow, tons of information in this book!
    I had it spiral bound as soon as it arrived. So much easier to read.

Name:	6B296378-48E4-41C4-88B7-33E018C2ED4F.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	214942

Leave a comment:

• MSell
    replied
    The stock two knob radio still works but wanted to use my cell phone. I did some searching and gave this a try. Amazed that it actually works! You tune to a “dead” station and tune the adapter to it. Phone connects via BT and tunes and calls come across just like a newer car.

Click image for larger version  Name:	38BDF1D3-6CFA-456D-8DDA-A0601E6BEC30.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	55.8 KB ID:	214744

Leave a comment:

• MSell
    replied
    Another problem I had was the clutch engaging at the upper most end of travel. It still has all the stock parts; plastic quadrant and pawl with no firewall adjuster. I was looking at new cables and adjusters, but before pulling the trigger, I thought I'd get back under the dash and take a look. It's been 30 years since I had my 84 GT, but something kept nagging at me that the stock pedal can be adjusted. Sure enough, once you see how the two parts interact with other, I released the Pawl and dropped the pedal to where it now feels better and starts to engage closer to the floor. cranked it up, drove around the yard and now it's much better. No noises shifting or stationary with clutch applied or not.

At this age of the car, the shelf life of those plastic parts can't be long off. I'll probably go ahead and get a new cable, firewall adjuster and quadrant to have on hand for the inevitable.

Really enjoying the SVO. It's just as easy to work on as the racecar and a hundredth of the cost!

Leave a comment:

• MSell
    replied
    I did come across the shifter I posted about. It is from Stinger Performance. Found it today while perusing their site.

Leave a comment:

• MSell
    replied
    Received the document from Ford today. Production # 1559 in 1984.

https://fordshowparts.com/

Name:	IMG_1095.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	214727

Leave a comment:

• MSell
    replied
    Replaced the throttle cable today. Noticed the old one had a little rough spot in it.

Bought a Pioneer CA-8451 from Autozone. Perfect fit, easy to install and is now super smooth.

Leave a comment:

• svono50
    replied
    Nice work on the cleanup, looking great! Get some miles under you belt and I am sure you will find another project...or two (ha,ha!).

I can't figure out that shifter, but it has to be a larger aftermarket company with the cast aluminum base, as most places won't invest in a die cast tool for that. I would suggest an MGW shifter for replacement if you are going through the effort. I have a write up in my project thread (17 years and counting) on my MGW install. While it has virtually the same throw as the OEM Hurst unit, I am sure it will last the rest of the life of the car. Also note that most of the transmission damage that occurs from installing an aftermarket shifter comes from setting the throw stops incorrectly...per MGW. Since our T5's come with built-in internal stops, they actually recommend removing the supplied stops so long as you are not breaking the internal shifter forks...which is what I did, FWIW.

Leave a comment:

• MSell
    replied
    My winter projects will be:

Re-upholster the front seats
    Fix the radio and speaker
    Change the shifter back to the existing short throw or a new Hurst short throw
    Hunt down a rear cargo cover
    Maybe put the engine bay back to stock. The original air box parts came with the car.

Longer term projects might be:
    Replace front springs and lower arm bushings
    Replace or re build front shocks
    Re-build engine

Leave a comment:

• MSell
    replied
    Two weeks of ownership. Car is cleaned inside and out. I replaced the rear hatch struts, seatbelts and supports, center console lid, adjusted the doors and hatch for better fitment, fixed the floppy visors, adjusted the shocks, replaced pedal covers, bled the brakes with fresh fluid, oil and filter change, checked & topped off the other fluids and replaced the dome light with an LED bulb. I tried chasing down the non-functioning lock switches. Replaced the actuators, confirmed the switches and fuses are good, but still can't get them to work. Might be a short somewhere in the hidden wiring. The radio is good except the right rear speaker is dead. It's the wire so I'll chase that down this winter. I'm 99% that the engine is the original. I was able to get a pic of the VIN and it appears to be correct. It's been fun working on it and researching the history and chain of custody. Now to enjoy driving it till the snow flies!

Name:	image104 (1).jpeg
Views:	207
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	214719 Click image for larger version

Name:	image104 (2).jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	214720 Click image for larger version

Name:	image102 (2).jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	214721 Click image for larger version

Name:	image102 (1).jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	214722

Leave a comment:

• MSell
    replied
    From other sources, it appears to be a chinese knockoff of an older Steeda. It was on the car at purchase.

Leave a comment:

• whoyacallem
    replied
    I was wrong again, it's not even close.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• whoyacallem
    replied
    I just pulled mine the other day and I feel like it's similar. It has Hurst cast into the top. I'll look when I get home.

Leave a comment:

• MSell
    replied

Name:	8AC56713-D844-4219-86A9-007DA7E94A68.jpeg
Views:	217
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	214708 Anyone know what brand this shifter this is? There’s no markings or numbers anywhere.

Name:	09B21D3B-D64B-4A84-8DB0-5FC5B7B14C8A.jpeg
Views:	213
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	214706

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X