No announcement yet.

About to start body restoration on 86

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another item to check off the list!
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

• Yep. I really need to get the tires replaced now. The fronts still have flat-spots from when we last autocrossed it.
      Gene Beaird,
      86 2R SVO, G Stock,
      Pearland, Texas

Comment

• I finally have some time off this week, and spent some quality time on the SVO. Since it's cool enough out in the shop now that I'm not pouring sweat into the engine bay when bent over it working, I figured now would be as good a time as any to reroute the plug wires so they're under the TB more like they should be OEM. It took a while, and you have to figure out which wire fits better in which hole, since the cap side is on the front left of the engine, and they come over the middle of the valve cover, but I got a decent arrangement using Motorcraft 8mm, and some wiring separators. I think the option I chose was longest on 4, second one down on 1, next down on 3, and shortest on 2. Numbers 3 and 2 were a wash, and I do have the PVC hose splitting wire arrangement in half so I'm not stretching them too much.

I could only figure out how to get only 1 separator that connects to one of the valve cover bolts, so I used the front driver's side bolt for that work. I used two free-floating separators for over the valve cover, one almost directly under the middle of the TB, and the second about 1/3 the way down the passenger side of the valve cover. Any further up for the second one, and the separator is pinched between the IC and valve cover.

I thought I had asked for a picture showing the factory arrangement here, but was unable to find either it, or the request, so I just winged it. Luckily, the service manual is actually pretty dang accurate, even in their drawings for illustrations.

After reconnecting everything, I test-fired the car, and it actually idled better than it has in a very long time. My fast idle at start doesn't seem to work properly, so I've recently had to start the car, and feed it some throttle to up the idle so it warms up. This time, it fired up and idled smoothly at the regular idle RPM with no need for the additional foot pressure. I need to fix that, but just haven't sat down to figure things out yet.

Happy to have the new bits on, and the wires hidden and NOT touching the valve cover. I'd show a picture, but there's a whole lotta 'nothing to see here' going on with the wires under the TB and tucked under the IC.

Next up, we'll probably get the front end off the ground so I can install the LCAs I got from Rob, the front FMS springs, and button the rest of the front end bits up after the paint and body work of so many years ago.
        Gene Beaird,
        86 2R SVO, G Stock,
        Pearland, Texas

Comment

• Good to hear of some positive movement on your project! I just tucked mine away for the winter up here in the northern climes.
          Ted
          86 SVO Mustang
          17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

• What vinyl paint did you use on your flock? (brand/color) It looks good!
            Todd
            86 SVO
            2nd owner

Comment

• Originally posted by 8t6svo View Post
              What vinyl paint did you use on your flock? (brand/color) It looks good!
              Duplicolor. I followed Ted's instructions in his project thread:

https://www.svoca.com/forum/forum/me...counting/page7

Post 98. Really quite simple, and looks 'good enough'. While I do want to eventually show the car, it won't be a show car, so this is fine. I do like the finish. I used panels from another Mustang, but had to pull the indicator panel from the SVO panel and use them, so I had 'Overboost' instead of 'Oil Pressure', I think.
              Gene Beaird,
              86 2R SVO, G Stock,
              Pearland, Texas

Comment

• Originally posted by svono50 View Post
                Good to hear of some positive movement on your project! I just tucked mine away for the winter up here in the northern climes.
                In this part of the world, this time of year the temps turn from 'oppressive' to 'not too bad'. Earlier this year, when I was finishing up the assembly of the engine bay, I was, literally, pouring sweat into the engine bay, all over clean, freshly-painted and polished parts. Had to stop until now. I work on this between doing work on the Firebird (trimming new fiberglass front fenders to fit the new 12" wide wheels we got earlier this year). Hopefully, we can finish the suspension work on the SVO in December, then it's off to paint for some touch ups before reinstalling the edge guard bits.
                Gene Beaird,
                86 2R SVO, G Stock,
                Pearland, Texas

Comment

• Originally posted by gbeaird View Post

Duplicolor. I followed Ted's instructions in his project thread:

https://www.svoca.com/forum/forum/me...counting/page7

Post 98. Really quite simple, and looks 'good enough'. While I do want to eventually show the car, it won't be a show car, so this is fine. I do like the finish. I used panels from another Mustang, but had to pull the indicator panel from the SVO panel and use them, so I had 'Overboost' instead of 'Oil Pressure', I think.
                  Thanks. I thought I had seen that post somewhere, but I wasn't able to find it anywhere.
                  Todd
                  86 SVO
                  2nd owner

Comment

Working...
                  X