No announcement yet.

What steering rack to order?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if the SVO rack just has better feel than other Fox racks and that is still preferred by the road-racing crowd. I certainly remember the Fox guys on the old RRAX list server always searching out SVO racks to replace the 5.0 racks. Funny thing is, I spotted an article in one of my old magazines with Turn-One showing how they rebuild a Fox rack for one of the tech articles...funny timing.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

Having never driven a Fox Mustang that wasn't a SVO, I can't tell you. I thought SVO racks had a bit higher ratio (15:1 vs. 20:1), as well as higher-effort? HIgher-effort on a recirculating ball gear is accomplished through a different torsion bar in the input portion of the gearbox. I'd guess a rack is the same way? On another note, sadly, All of TO's recirculating ball gearboxes are not being produced now due to parts shortages. Should have picked up the high-ratio box when I could. Who knew?
      Gene Beaird,
      86 2R SVO, G Stock,
      Pearland, Texas

Comment

I believe all the 87-93 5.0L's had the same 15:1 ratio rack as ours, but lower effort. I am not sure what the 82-86 5.0L's had for rack ratios, but likely low effort versions as well. I remember my friend's 89 LX 5.0L notch had lighter steering than my SVO, we both noticed it when we swapped cars the first time. Not sure how they achieved the 'high' effort, whether it was mechanical, hydraulic (orifice size) or some combination, but I would hope that TO can help shed some light on the subject. BTW, I saw your conversation with Jack over on C-C's... :-)
        Ted
        86 SVO Mustang
        17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

Originally posted by svono50 View Post
          <SNIP> BTW, I saw your conversation with Jack over on C-C's... :-)
          Small world, huh? :-)

Gene Beaird,
          86 2R SVO, G Stock,
          Pearland, Texas

Comment

Working...
          X