Spring Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Question.

I am looking to change the stance of my SVO, and came here first to hear other imputs.
    If you want to know what I'm looking for, look at the logo in the upper left, the stance of that car is perfect. Much like that of a M3 BMW.

How many people have changed springs in their SVO''s

If you did what brands did you use?
    What was the change in ride height of the car?

I'm looking to give the car a nice agrassive stance. But I'm not about to butcher the factory springs like many people do, by cutting or welding. I would like to keep the originals just as the came, so i can replace when I want to go back.

The car has 17" wheels on it, just so thats known.
    96 cobra wheels with 245's all four corners.
    But I would also like it to look good with the original wheels on it.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I also don't want it to be to low and hurt the Koni's by bottemming out the shocks travel like so many 5.0 drivers do. Ride quality is of almost NO concern, for as the car sees VERY little miles on it.

Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

EA

info is listed in the Product Review section..

you'd probably enjoy the Eibach Sports or Motorsport Bs the most.

http://www.svoca.com/forum/showthrea...s=&threadid=37

Comment

also - here's a pic of my car with the Eibach Sports

http://www.svoca.com/forum/showthrea...=&threadid=752

Comment

Thanks alot, this helps me out alot, and the pic was a added bonus.

If i choose another method i will post my conclusions, and pics.

I'm working on a site for my cars, and I will include details about this spring swap.

I went through about 3 sets on my last cobra, Eibach, Motorsports, and a cheap brand called Sprint. And the best out of the bunch was Sprint by far. So i learned that you sometimes get more then you pay for! For a nice change.

I posted this cause I didnt' want to go throught the same waste of time and effort again.

I can tell you this, the one thing I did gain was that I can now changed springs with my eyes closed.

As stated above, thank you for you time.

EA

Comment

Re: Spring Question.

Originally posted by TheSVTKid

The car has 17" wheels on it, just so thats known.
          96 cobra wheels with 245's all four corners.
          But I would also like it to look good with the original wheels on it.

EA
          Better be careful when lowering with the incorrect offset wheels and 245 series tires.

I agree with Bud, the Eibach "sports" will give the correct stance and keep the original ride quality. Motorsport "B" springs may be a less expensive alternitave.

DO NOT try the Eibach "pro" or the Motorsport"C" springs....way to harsh of a ride quality for strret use. With these springs you will FEEL every nook and cranny in the road and will jar the car apart if ya hit a hole in the road.
          Gary Alsobrooks
          SVOCA Founding 5 , #005

Comment

Thanks alot....

Like I stated in the first post I really am not concerned about ride quality on this car, as for it is rarly driven. And I have other cars to drive. But the imput is great.

I just never knew on the SVO with the weight distribution, and the other lil "random issues" when it came to this car.

EA

Comment

And I'm going to agree with Gary on both issues. I had the eibach prokit springs on my last 89 gt and the ride was terrible. Even if the car is tight they will make everything rattle. Also on the tire issue be very careful. Here's a picture of my car with the eibach sportlines and stock wheels and tires. Not much clearance as you can see. (Sorry it's not for sale. Just didn't get to take pics of my own yet!)
              Attached Files
              Dominic

86 SVO
              226rwhp
              266rwtq SOLD

Comment

sportline springs

Nice looking car Dominic! What problems do you have with the tires? Are they rubbing?

Comment

8T6 thanks for the compliment! No problems rubbing but the spearco, crossmember brace and 3 in cat pipe are awfully low so i have to be real careful as to where i drive it. I'm looking to raise the front up about a half inch and may go the coilover route since i can adjust the ride height.

Take care.
                  Dominic

86 SVO
                  226rwhp
                  266rwtq SOLD

Comment

since we're talking about springs....

I've searched and searched but never been able to find out what the stock spring rate is on our cars.

I remember reading somewhere that the spring rate was specific to the SVO, but never saw any actual figures. It would make picking spring rates for lowering springs a whole lot easier if we knew 'from whence we started'.

Anybody?
                    Russ
                    Russ
                    '86 9L

Comment

Stock spring rates

Well, I found the answer to my question.

Stock SVO spring rates (EXTREMELY reliable source) at least for the '86, and as I have never heard of any spring changes between years most likely for the '84, '85, and '85 1/2.....wonder about the comp prep though.....
                      Front: 410
                      Rear: 200

By way of comparison, fox chasis GT's came with variable
                      Front: 400-500
                      Rear: 165-265
                      Russ
                      '86 9L

Comment

Spring Rates

I have the Ford literature on spring rates at my home. I won't be back up there for a couple of weeks but when I get a chance I'll check it out... Later Ken

Comment

This was some great info, but I did not see anything that talked about any additional mods. Thanks.

Comment

I guess my real question was If I got the eibach sports, for my SVO, do I have to do any mods? I checked this topic in the freq asked questions, and could not find an answer. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SVO-SMITTY
                              I guess my real question was If I got the eibach sports, for my SVO, do I have to do any mods?.
                              Assuming you have your stock wheels and stock tire size, No, they bolt right in.

Comment

Working...
                              X