car continues to go to 20 lbs boost and more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car continues to go to 20 lbs boost and more

I have finally got my car together but the problem is that i went to a external wastegate (stinger) on side of exhaust manifold as done by a turbo guy and a stinger boost controller. have stock intercooler location but with upgraded bell intercooler inside stock housing. Installed new silcone connectors to the intercooler both in and out sides also from turbo to boost controller then to waste gate. When i step on gas under load vaccum gauge goes from about 15 lbs vaccum to 20 lbs boost waste gate opens at 15 but boost continues to climb I let of gas before goes to high. Head and intake were ported by steve schlodes who did EXCELLENT job but the car is undriveable as it sits unless i accelerate gradually. I am looking for ideas on what is wrong. the only other thing is the stinger waste gate has a top port but unless i read wrong it said to leave it open not to plug it. Also another issue is running stock o2 sensor for now and reading is 13 to 14 at idle but 10.2 when driving or accelerating
    thanks
    Pete

Without knowing the workings of that wastegate, it is hard to say how it should be plumbed. Typically if a wastegate isn't opening properly, it is plumbed backwards (i.e.- it never opens and you get runaway boost). The other reason for over boosting is that the valve isn't opening enough to bleed off the energy. You certainly need to get that figured out before playing with it on the street, as you could inflict some damage.

I hope you are getting that A/F number from a wideband and not trying to interpret from the stock narrow-band sensor?? The basic map for our EEC is to go to open-loop operation above 3000rpm under load and the stock fuel tables are quite 'rich'. I know from watching various SVO's on the dyno that dropping to the low 10's/high 9's isn't uncommon. This is also a reason why our cars can handle additional boost w/o many issues is there is plenty of fuel hanging around to support it. I just added a WBO2 to my car this year and have noticed mine has been hitting ~10.0 under initial load (mid-range) and then slowly rising closer to 11 as I approach 6000rpm.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

I would ask Stinger on his forum. Without knowing exactly what you bought, and how it's setup, it would be hard to guess... externals have a spring in them that determine boost, are you sure it has a spring in it, and hopefully the right one ?
      Eric C
      SVOCA Webmaster

Comment

Thanks guys
        Yes i have the normal o2 sensor but once the border opens (im in Canada) I will go over and get hook up and wideband sensor ( so tired of paying crazy shipping duty and taxes). I will also post on the stinger site

Comment

Let us know what you find out with the wastegate, I would be interested in at least learning what it going on in any case.

Do you have a vacuum/pressure pump, like a Mityvac? You could then put pressure against the wastegate to confirm its operation and spring pressure.

I have found mine invaluable for those various vacuum/pressure troubleshooting issues I have come across...along with vacuum bleeding my brake fluid each spring/track event. My particular kit I purchased online years ago was the MV8500 kit: https://www.skf.com/mityvac/products...mp-kits/mv8500
          Ted
          86 SVO Mustang
          17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

Working...
          X