Turbo Throttle Bodies Different?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Throttle Bodies Different?

Been chasing a high idle condition that just popped up, so I decided to just to swap throttle bodies with a spare 87-88 Tbird I had laying around. It's physically the same, but I swear the progressive linkage is more aggressive than the SVO's. Has anybody experienced this? It's nearly impossible to drive the car without getting into boost driving normally, which isn't a bad thing, its just different than what I've been use to for over 172k miles. I can't image what a normal non progressive TB feels like. BTW, it didn't fix my high idle, pretty much does the same.
    86 SVO
    89 LX 5.0
    88 Saleen 351-blown
    99 Saleen

I thought they were the same, but maybe the linkage is slightly different. If you have both, then you should be able to verify. Did you swap over your TPS or use the Tbird unit?

As for high idle issue, make sure the ECT (top center of the lower intake) is not crapping out on you. They typically fail 'open' (i.e.- infinite resistance), which indicates to the EEC that temp is 'cold'. The sensor is a thermistor, where the resistance is inversely proportional to the temp. You can measure the resistance across the terminals to see what you got. At 68 deg F you should see ~37 K ohms and at 194 deg F you should see 2.8 K ohms.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

EGR port on the back of the intake are famous for clogging up with carbon.
      Idle air bypass valves are getting old, and pretty famous for getting sticky.
      and last but not least, TPS needs to be set below 1V (with all other idle settings set correctly)

There is a thread in the FAQ section on how to set base idle, if base is not right -- (if you've twisted on the idle screw AT ALL, it's not) you need to start from scratch.
      Idle will do things that defy common sense if base is not set correctly.

Interesting bit on the 88 TB throttle body, I have one sitting here, and I can't tell any difference.
      Eric C
      SVOCA Webmaster

Comment

Setting base idle is a bit of a pain in the butt, being an iterative process, but dialing it in can help in most situations.
        Ted
        86 SVO Mustang
        17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

Working...
        X