Green wire with brown resistor coming off coil 1984 svo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green wire with brown resistor coming off coil 1984 svo

I need to replace the green wire with it looks like a fusible link for an 1984 svo. Does anyone know a replacement part mine is falling apart also what does it do? Would this cause hard starting
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Its that green wire with the big brown thing on it, what is it?

Comment

the green-wire, I don't know off the top of my head what it is -- but that 'big thing' is a fusible link... basically a slow-blow fuse

if it's 'popped' you can replace it with a standard in-line fuse, is what I would do.

replace with something like this--

you will not likely find a stock replacement.
        Attached Files
        Eric C
        SVOCA Webmaster

Comment

Awesome thanks so much appreciate your help. Got the silver state running today just seems super hard to start. And also when the electric fan kicks on it just about kills the car. Like a power surge or something.

Comment

sounds like the alternator isn't charging, or isn't putting out enough juice...
            I went for a 3G upgrade when I replaced mine, but there is even better stuff out now.
            I also had some dodgy wiring at the regulator plug, which made the 3G replacement( I used the small case 3G) a no-brainer for me. the larger case 3g can cause hood interference, without some additional mods to the mounting location.

There are instructions to build your own upgrade kit posted all over here, as well as kits available from lots of places. paperformance.com has the one a lot of people used.

it might actually explain your hard-start issues too,
            Eric C
            SVOCA Webmaster

Comment

Eric I tested the voltage at the battery and directly off the alternator. 14.2 at alternator 14.1 at battery. It looks like it has been updated. I have not had a mustang svo for going on 10 years so sorry for all the questions. I think i am just going to put a atx 20 lithium battery up front which is 3.8 lbs with 680 cca. Hopefully after a new starter, some new battery wires and cleaning up some of the wiring i can get it to start better.
              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I tried one of the small batteries, because I don't drive my SVO a lot, it was a 3.8 pound, $250 paper-weight 90% of the time.
                you said hard-start, that typically means, it turns over fine, but don't start. are you saying it just don't turn over ?
                Eric C
                SVOCA Webmaster

Comment

When i got it the previous owner had cranked it over until the battery cable melted, so i replaced that and also put in a new starter. I also moved the battery from the trunk to the engine compartment. Replaced the fuel pump and after filter. Still wont start. i got it to run when i first got it, but then it wouldnt restart. The old fuel pump was extremely dirty and the filter had a big hole in it. Wish i could get it started so i can drive it. Need to trouble shoot some more wires. The 1984 harness wiring is just so brittle. Also put in a motorcraft tfi. I think the pickup is bad. And i also changed out the ignition switch, since those seem to fall apart.

Comment

you need to check the basics
                    1 -- put a spark tester on at the plug, make sure you're getting spark.
                    2 - fuel pressure tester on the rail
                    3 - noid tester -- to confirm injectors are firing
                    4 -- check CAM timing (CAM timing is ZERO deg NOT 10)
                    Eric C
                    SVOCA Webmaster

Comment

I got it running. I seriously had to replace so many wires, the harness is definitely toast. I patched it the best I could. It runs good now. Cleaned all the ground wires, Replaced tons and tons of the wiring. It literall is falling apart with cracks. New harness will happen soon. New TFI, New Fuel Pump, Motorcraft Cap, Rotor, New Plugs, Motorcraft Plug Wires.

Comment

Glad to hear it is up and running. Funny how electrons can work better when their 'roadways' are clean, eh?
                        Ted
                        86 SVO Mustang
                        17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

I didnt know the wiring was so brittle on 84 svo's its incredible that it all hasnt melted yet. But i will replace it this winter for sure.

Comment

Unfortunately, 84's are well know for 'brittle' insulation material. Most 84's I have see have some amount of insulation that has flaked off the wiring. Not sure what Ford did for those models or how long into the model year it continued, but I can't recall seeing the same issue on the 85's that I have come in contact with.
                            Ted
                            86 SVO Mustang
                            17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

yep, not sure what changed in 85/86, but they seem to be a bit better.
                              Eric C
                              SVOCA Webmaster

Comment

Working...
                              X