Four port boost controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four port boost controller

Anyone using one of these? The new turbo has a weak little 6 pound internal wastegate spring and spools slower than I'd like. I can't quite wrap my mind around how it installs on this wastegate since it (wastegate) only has one port on it.

Brand/model of controller? I haven't used one, but may be able to figure it out if I see what we are working with.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

all boost controllers work the same---
      they prevent boost from reaching the wastegate, to make it open later.
      some do it via bleeding off boost before it reaches the WG
      others just hold the pressure til it reaches a certain point
      electronic ones tend to throttle the pressure by opening and closing rapidly.
      Eric C
      SVOCA Webmaster

Comment

I already use an ebc. Was looking at the four port because it is supposed to allow higher boost and better control. Have decided to just go with a stiffer wastegate instead.

Comment

The way to get the ramp of the boost the steepest is to block the boost signal to the wastegate actuator as long as you can, so the wastegate can remain shut and put all available energy through the turbine. That is why the Gillis valve (poppet style) works so well, since it stays closed till the boost overcomes the Gillis valve and starts to signal the actuator to start to open. Of course, preventing the amount of overshoot is the challenge using this method, depending on how close your spring pressure is to the target boost level. Hence the reason most of the electronic controllers are 'better' at minimizing the overshoot, while still giving a steep boost ramp.

Back to the 4-port solenoid. I did some looking and better understand where they are going with this method. The thing is, you would need a dual port wastegate actuator, where you can apply boost to either side of the actuator diaphragm. So the 4 ports are for 1) Boost in, 2) Diaphragm top, 3) Diaphragm bottom and 4) Atmosphere. You start out by applying boost pressure to the 'top' side of the diaphragm to hold the wastegate tightly shut and get the turbo going, while the diaphragm bottom is open to the atmosphere port to allow it to 'breath' as pressure is applied to the opposite side of the diaphragm. As boost comes up and you start to approach your set point the valve would switch to sending the boost signal to the 'bottom' port and start opening the wastegate. The 'top' port would now open to the atmosphere and vent as needed, so it doesn't hinder the actuator movement. The flow capability, solenoid 'resolution' and controller 'resolution' all come into play with how well the system works. So by putting boost on the top of the diaphragm, you effectively increase the actuator's spring rate, which is why they tout this system of being capable of boost pressures 4-6x the spring pressure, since you have an extra force to help the spring. Now, if you had a spool valve to better 'blend' the two signals, you could end up with a very high capability to finely control the boost ramp and control. Let me put my Engineering hat down and rest for a bit ;-)
          Ted
          86 SVO Mustang
          17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

Working...
          X