Tale of two SVOs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tale of two SVOs

New member here in Athens, AL. Will introduce properly ASAP. Have a problem (electrical??) with my recently-acquired1986. It runs fine after starting but won't start without the aid of starting fluid (I spray it in the brake booster vacuum hose). The injectors aren't seeing a signal to start when attempting a normal start; ignition switch maybe?? Also, this is a Canadian market car with a W code (a build code of some sort?) which another SVO club didn't recognize; it is apparently the only Canadian SVO built with this code. The VIN is 1FABP28T9GF241177. TIA for any advice.

Another mystery car: I purchased a new '85, the VIN was 1FABP28T7FF153128 and was purchased new as a demo with appx. 4k miles. It was bright red, had the recessed headlights, a 15psi boost gauge (did the '84s and early '85s normally have a 14psi gauge like I believe?), AND a 3.73 tagged rear end!??? Ran great and was very quick, just like my '86.

P.S. Forgot to mention that the '85 had the one-sided dual-tipped exhaust as one would expect on a non 85.5. ?????

Thanks,
    Ron
    Athens, AL
    256-232-2160
    Last edited by oilheadron; 10-11-2021, 06:45 PM.

I think the first thing to look at is the TPS setting and functionality. It should be set at 0.90V to 0.95V. Also, pull the codes.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

Comment

Barry recently had this type of symptom and it turned out to be the ECU temp sensor in the bottom intake manifold.
      Bruce

Comment

GAboy, thank you for reminding me about that. We had to replace the TPS a couple of months ago (long story) and didn't have a way to check the setting. And that is roughly when this problem started (another even longer story, we've been over this car for just about anything you can imagine before and since then).

P.S. Forgot to mention that the '85 had the one-sided dual-tipped exhaust as one would expect. ????????
        Last edited by oilheadron; 10-11-2021, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Bruce, we haven't checked the ECU temp sensor yet but will. Thanks.

Comment

I am in Decatur, got a few svo's. The early 85 svo's are pretty much like the 84's with a better radio. They did have a different geared trans and 3.73 rear gears. Interested in what you are talking about on the W code on the 86. You missed a good car show at the park last saturday. I think there were around 180 cars. later Kendal
            Kendal Coker

Comment

Welcome Ron. The temp sensor Bruce it talking about is the one on the top/center of the lower intake between the #2 & 3 injectors. That is the sensor that the EEC uses for determining the engine's temp. The ECT sensor typically fails 'open', which tells the EEC that it is ~40 below and causes all kinds of unsavory issues. The other two temp sensors are for the gauge cluster and the cooling fan, just in case you didn't know.

Your 85 sounds interesting, based on its performance in reference to your 86. The exhaust sounds correct for the 84-85 versions. The 85 should have an 'inline' intake vs the 85.5-86 'square' intake and green top injectors (30 lb/hr) vs brown top injectors (35 lb/hr). Those are a couple of the easier indicators for differentiating the two generations of the SVO engines.
              Ted
              86 SVO Mustang
              17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

Kendal, related to Johnny Coker?? My fraternity brother way back when. Hopefully you and I can meet up soon; I haven't seen another SVO around in here in years. BTW I purchased the '85 at the Ford dealership in Decatur. I don't have it any more dang it!

SVOno thanks for the info.

Comment

Dont know him.

Might be going to the Ardmore car show this weekend if it is not raining. If you go look me up. I will have a car there with a big wing.
                  Kendal Coker

Comment

Sounds good. Me and the girlfriend have been looking for a reason to drive up through Tenn this weekend anyway. We'll be in a black Hummer H2.
                    Last edited by oilheadron; 10-13-2021, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Kendal, do you have a fuel damper laying around for my '86? Can I run it without the damper? Another long story. Please call at 232-2160 or 256-998-0705. Semi-emergency.

Comment

You can run without a dampener on the fuel line. It was meant to smooth out the fuel system pressure during the batch firing of the injectors, since they are not fired sequentially like our 5.0L brethren. I ran without mine on for a season and didn't notice any performance or fuel pressure gauge reading difference, only put it back on since I still had it and figured why not.
                        Ted
                        86 SVO Mustang
                        17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

Thanks much. I like this place more all the time.

P.S. The old ECT sensor tested at 26k ohms, sounds like WAY too high to me.
                          Last edited by oilheadron; 10-14-2021, 01:05 PM.

Comment

BINGO!! The new ECT sensor fixed it right up. Starts right up and even runs a little stronger than it did. I never would have thought to check it.

Comment

Working...
                            X