X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition cutting out

Not sure where to post this so I will post it here

please move to appropriate thread

after my car got running again it is now having an issue with the ignition cutting out then coming back
    the tach drops to zero then comes back with the engine
    seems to be cutting out more and more

the PIP,TFI,TPS, ignition switch, and coil where all replaced before the issue started
    PiP is motorcraft
    TFI non motorcraft
    TPS non motorcraft

Never had any trouble with this car till it had the starting issues.

any help would be appreciated

Thanks,

Bar
    Barry D. Rasmussen
    SVOCA Member #192
    '86 SVO 1E

ignition cut, is it missing on a cyl, or 2, or is it completely cutting, and dying ?

My first and foremost gut says -- TFI Wiring.. but need to know more first.

-- to test -- fire it up, grab the TFI wiring, and move it around, same with the TPS wiring, ETC
    also FYI, I've never had great luck with NON-Motorcraft TFI's -- blew one at the reunion auto-x 3 years ago.. (it was non-motorcraft)
    I'm sure a few people could comment on how it was 'cutting out'
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

Comment

it completely cuts out even the tach goes to zero

replaced the TFI connector soldered and shrink wrapped them and insulated the ones that needed to be

can the connections be tested in any way?

Thanks,

Bar
      Barry D. Rasmussen
      SVOCA Member #192
      '86 SVO 1E

Comment

What year? '84's had an issue with the wiring insulation getting brittle and crumbling off the wiring. I had a '84 that had that problem. Stranded me twice. Had the car towed home, hopped in it to see if it would start so I could put it in a spot I could start troubleshooting and it fired right up as if nothing happened. 3rd time it quit, I got out, just moved the wiring around with my hand a bit, and it fired right up so I could get home. At the time, Ford had repair harnessed you could buy to replace some of the ignition harness with better wires.
        Gene Beaird,
        86 2R SVO, G Stock,
        Pearland, Texas

Comment

Bar's car is an 86, so wiring technically shouldn't be an issue. I had a similar thing many, many moons ago, so hopefully this helps. With your new PIP and TFI, you should be good there. If the PIP goes bad you won't even get a spark. The tach dropping to zero is a HUGE clue though, which means your ignition power is going off, which is usually caused by your ignition switch in the column and not down in the engine compartment. I have had both my PIP and ignition switch go bad on me over the years and I can say the tach doesn't 'click off' when the PIP dies, that is a power interruption. Toss a new switch in is my recommendation.
          Ted
          86 SVO Mustang
          17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

as my first post says I replaced the ignition switch with a new one............

that was part of my just throw parts at it and see if that fixed the no run issue I had earlier

my TFI connector was replaced because it had bare wires on the end... and it ran fine that way

now for the big question....... which Motorcraft TFI is right for the SVO and where do I get one( so many part # out there)

thanks for the help

Bar
            Barry D. Rasmussen
            SVOCA Member #192
            '86 SVO 1E

Comment

Sorry about that Bar, I completely missed the ignition switch notation...spotted the other items, but not that one for some reason. I will check into my archives to see if I can find a definitive number, but a quick check on Rock Auto and Ford Parts Giant and they both show the same Motorcraft TFI module (DU2Z-12A297-A), both list for ~$100.
              Ted
              86 SVO Mustang
              17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

I did some searching tonight and can't find anything further than what I noted above really. The DU2Z-12A297-A shows as the replacement for the E43Z-12A297-A module that I have in one reference list from "Fastest4D". Hope this helps.

One other thing...you did smear the thermally conductive grease on the backside of the module didn't you?? Without it, the modules tend to have a shortened life, especially the aftermarket ones.
                Ted
                86 SVO Mustang
                17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

yes I did use the heat sink compound

I will look for that TFI when I get a minute to breath and relax

thanks,

Bar
                  Barry D. Rasmussen
                  SVOCA Member #192
                  '86 SVO 1E

Comment

Have you tried the wire-shake test yet ?

I have thoroughly reprimanded Ted..

both amazon, and even walmart list a 'motorcraft TFI', but it sure don't look motorcraft.
                    There are several used ones on ebay for 25-30 bucks, that MIGHT be a way to go ??
                    LMR has a non-motorcraft one, for ~40 bucks

Guess the options are getting limited on finding MOTORCRAFT TFI's

EDIT -- of all places -- ROCK AUTO has a motorcraft TFI, for 96 bucks!!
                    https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ule+(icm),7172
                    in typical rock auto fashion, they also have one for 12 bucks.
                    Eric C
                    SVOCA Webmaster

Comment

Originally posted by SVOeric View Post
                      Have you tried the wire-shake test yet ?
                      My money is on this ^^^^ as the culprit...

"If there's no plan, what can go wrong...?"

Comment

I hope you didn't virtually flog him to hard with a wet noodle
                        Barry D. Rasmussen
                        SVOCA Member #192
                        '86 SVO 1E

Comment

All right got some time to mess with the 86.....
                          started it up and did the wiggle test on the TFI and the wires going up to the fire wall and it never stumbled or missed.....
                          let it idle for a bit and it didn't have any issues so now I am at a loss?

Bar
                          Barry D. Rasmussen
                          SVOCA Member #192
                          '86 SVO 1E

Comment

So is the cutout happening under load/boost or at cruise/part throttle? When my PIP was dying my ignition cutout happened after things warmed and at part throttle cruise. When my ignition switch was dying it typically did it when I was into the boost and not much under cruise. Unfortunately you have replaced all those parts, but with the way the cutout is increasing, you tach drops to zero (i.e.- losing tach signal) and your wiggle test didn't come of anything, I would have to go back to the PIP and/or TFI. Wish I could add more.
                            Ted
                            86 SVO Mustang
                            17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

Something to look out for as our cars move into old age is that the connectors' keepers for the pins break away and the contact is lost. I had this happen on the fuel pump relay and ruined a track day until I figured it out.
                              Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
                              '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
                              '96 300ZXTT

Comment

Working...
                              X