No announcement yet.

Ignition cutting out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well I went to move the car tonight and now it is being a PIA (no spark)

I guess I will put in the back up distributor on Sat and see if that does anything

Bar
    Barry D. Rasmussen
    SVOCA Member #192
    '86 SVO 1E

Comment

At this point Bar, that is not a bad option to try out. I hope it gets you some sort of answer, so let us know the results.
      Ted
      86 SVO Mustang
      17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

success.......... Bruce told me to try replacing the coil so I put the old coil back in and it started.

and yes I tried to start it before I changed coils

Bar
        Barry D. Rasmussen
        SVOCA Member #192
        '86 SVO 1E

Comment

What brand/kind of coil did you have on there?? That is an 'odd' failure point, IMHO.
          Ted
          86 SVO Mustang
          17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

When I got the car over 20 years ago I upgraded the stock coil to a MSD Blaster coil... and I loved it6 never had a problem with it.........

Fast forward some 20 plus years and I had the no start problem so I just started throwing parts at the car ...........that included a brand new MSD blaster coil

after Bruce and I exhausted all I knowledge on the car it went to my mechanic and he found out that it was the computers temp sensor that shorted out.

fixed it and it ran great for a couple month bthen the ignition started cutting out

and the rest is in the post

thanks for all the help

Bar
            Barry D. Rasmussen
            SVOCA Member #192
            '86 SVO 1E

Comment

Bar - MSD stuff is not what it used to be. Guys in the Pantera club talk about it all of the time with failing, new coils. All are MSDs. Sound like their quality is in the crapper these days.
              Mike
              PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT / Illinois - Taxation w/o Representation!

Comment

I have to say that most aftermarket items just don't hold up as well as OEM on 'long-term' use from what I have seen. It really seems like the MSD stuff just isn't all that 'great'. I put an MSD 6AL box in my car, along with an Accel Super E-coil back in 1993. Things started acting up, so I pulled the MSD box and it came back to 'normal'. I always planned on sending the MSD box back for evaluation, but never did. It is still sitting in a box on my shelves for some reason. The Accel coil is still in place (knocking on wood), but I still have the OEM coil on the shelf if needed.

In any case, it is good to see that the car is back running again.
                Ted
                86 SVO Mustang
                17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

I'm kind of, sort of surprised it was the aftermarket coil, but yeah, MSD ignition system's failure mode is the car starts running 'oddly', or 'weird', and the way it runs in this mode acts like other issues, since they rarely seem to just quit. If you have a MSD ignition, always get a spare, as they can go into failure mode any time, especially if you have it mounted under the hood, and MSD makes random changes to them as the years go by, so your replacement may not be a plug 'n play replacement. Mine wasn't.
                  Last edited by gbeaird; 11-19-2021, 12:04 PM.
                  Gene Beaird,
                  86 2R SVO, G Stock,
                  Pearland, Texas

Comment

Working...
                  X