Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gbeaird
    replied
    I'm kind of, sort of surprised it was the aftermarket coil, but yeah, MSD ignition system's failure mode is the car starts running 'oddly', or 'weird', and the way it runs in this mode acts like other issues, since they rarely seem to just quit. If you have a MSD ignition, always get a spare, as they can go into failure mode any time, especially if you have it mounted under the hood, and MSD makes random changes to them as the years go by, so your replacement may not be a plug 'n play replacement. Mine wasn't.
    Last edited by gbeaird; 11-19-2021, 12:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• svono50
    replied
    I have to say that most aftermarket items just don't hold up as well as OEM on 'long-term' use from what I have seen. It really seems like the MSD stuff just isn't all that 'great'. I put an MSD 6AL box in my car, along with an Accel Super E-coil back in 1993. Things started acting up, so I pulled the MSD box and it came back to 'normal'. I always planned on sending the MSD box back for evaluation, but never did. It is still sitting in a box on my shelves for some reason. The Accel coil is still in place (knocking on wood), but I still have the OEM coil on the shelf if needed.

In any case, it is good to see that the car is back running again.

Leave a comment:

• MIKESVO
    replied
    Bar - MSD stuff is not what it used to be. Guys in the Pantera club talk about it all of the time with failing, new coils. All are MSDs. Sound like their quality is in the crapper these days.
    Mike

Leave a comment:

• svopony
    replied
    When I got the car over 20 years ago I upgraded the stock coil to a MSD Blaster coil... and I loved it6 never had a problem with it.........

Fast forward some 20 plus years and I had the no start problem so I just started throwing parts at the car ...........that included a brand new MSD blaster coil

after Bruce and I exhausted all I knowledge on the car it went to my mechanic and he found out that it was the computers temp sensor that shorted out.

fixed it and it ran great for a couple month bthen the ignition started cutting out

and the rest is in the post

thanks for all the help

Bar

Leave a comment:

• svono50
    replied
    What brand/kind of coil did you have on there?? That is an 'odd' failure point, IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• svopony
    replied
    success.......... Bruce told me to try replacing the coil so I put the old coil back in and it started.

and yes I tried to start it before I changed coils

Bar

Leave a comment:

• svono50
    replied
    At this point Bar, that is not a bad option to try out. I hope it gets you some sort of answer, so let us know the results.

Leave a comment:

• svopony
    replied
    well I went to move the car tonight and now it is being a PIA (no spark)

I guess I will put in the back up distributor on Sat and see if that does anything

Bar

Leave a comment:

• GAboySVO
    replied
    Something to look out for as our cars move into old age is that the connectors' keepers for the pins break away and the contact is lost. I had this happen on the fuel pump relay and ruined a track day until I figured it out.

Leave a comment:

• svono50
    replied
    So is the cutout happening under load/boost or at cruise/part throttle? When my PIP was dying my ignition cutout happened after things warmed and at part throttle cruise. When my ignition switch was dying it typically did it when I was into the boost and not much under cruise. Unfortunately you have replaced all those parts, but with the way the cutout is increasing, you tach drops to zero (i.e.- losing tach signal) and your wiggle test didn't come of anything, I would have to go back to the PIP and/or TFI. Wish I could add more.

Leave a comment:

• svopony
    replied
    All right got some time to mess with the 86.....
    started it up and did the wiggle test on the TFI and the wires going up to the fire wall and it never stumbled or missed.....
    let it idle for a bit and it didn't have any issues so now I am at a loss?

Bar

Leave a comment:

• svopony
    replied
    I hope you didn't virtually flog him to hard with a wet noodle

Leave a comment:

• Laredo
    replied
    Originally posted by SVOeric View Post
    Have you tried the wire-shake test yet ?
    My money is on this ^^^^ as the culprit...

Leave a comment:

• SVOeric
    replied
    Have you tried the wire-shake test yet ?

I have thoroughly reprimanded Ted..

both amazon, and even walmart list a 'motorcraft TFI', but it sure don't look motorcraft.
    There are several used ones on ebay for 25-30 bucks, that MIGHT be a way to go ??
    LMR has a non-motorcraft one, for ~40 bucks

Guess the options are getting limited on finding MOTORCRAFT TFI's

EDIT -- of all places -- ROCK AUTO has a motorcraft TFI, for 96 bucks!!
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ule+(icm),7172
    in typical rock auto fashion, they also have one for 12 bucks.

Leave a comment:

• svopony
    replied
    yes I did use the heat sink compound

I will look for that TFI when I get a minute to breath and relax

thanks,

Bar

Leave a comment:

Working...
X