Need help identifying things in the engine bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help identifying things in the engine bay

Hello all. I bought my 86 SVO about a week ago and have been going thru it to identify what thing needs to be done to the vehicle. As I was cleaning the engine bay, I notice some things that look interesting and need your help in identifying them. Here are the pics. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.

Alex - I'll start...the Bull Boost is a oil catch can I believe. The other looks like a boost controller. The last one is your EEC-OBD1 test port. Mike
    PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT / Illinois - Taxation w/o Representation!

Comment

Originally posted by MIKESVO View Post
      Alex - I'll start...the Bull Boost is a oil catch can I believe. The other looks like a boost controller. The last one is your EEC-OBD1 test port. Mike
      Mike,

Thanks so much. I take that the boost controller is not a stock item, correct? It appears that is missing a cap. I also noticed that the hose that goes from the air cleaner to the turbo is not stock. As I look at the stock hose, it doesn't have that metal tube that has something connected to it.

Comment

The first pic is of the L-fitting on the 'high' side of the compressor housing for your boost control system. One hose goes down to the wastegate actuator and the other goes over to the boost solenoid. That is the 'naked' device with the coil you have pictured and from what I can see that is the stock unit, just missing its cover. The other side of the boost solenoid would go over to the inlet side of the turbo, which is also where your valve cover used to go to as well. But, as Mike noted, you have an aftermarket oil separator on there (i.e.- Bull Boost unit). The stock turbo unit has a bolt on inlet elbow that gives the port for the fitting that takes the valve cover vent line and boost controller line, but most aftermarket units don't have that and you have to put in a tube that you can connect to between the turbo and VAF, since that air is 'metered' it needs to come in after the VAF. I will dig up some pics tonight of the stock components, so you can get a better idea of what your setup used to look like.
        Ted
        86 SVO Mustang
        17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

Originally posted by svono50 View Post
          The first pic is of the L-fitting on the 'high' side of the compressor housing for your boost control system. One hose goes down to the wastegate actuator and the other goes over to the boost solenoid. That is the 'naked' device with the coil you have pictured and from what I can see that is the stock unit, just missing its cover. The other side of the boost solenoid would go over to the inlet side of the turbo, which is also where your valve cover used to go to as well. But, as Mike noted, you have an aftermarket oil separator on there (i.e.- Bull Boost unit). The stock turbo unit has a bolt on inlet elbow that gives the port for the fitting that takes the valve cover vent line and boost controller line, but most aftermarket units don't have that and you have to put in a tube that you can connect to between the turbo and VAF, since that air is 'metered' it needs to come in after the VAF. I will dig up some pics tonight of the stock components, so you can get a better idea of what your setup used to look like.
          Ted,

Thanks for the explanation. I would love to see the stock pictures as that would help in returning the engine back to stock.

Alex

Comment

Trying to find some 'good' pics in my archives was a bit more challenging than expected. Looks like most folks don't focus on that area of the engine bay very much. Here are some photos I was able to dig up of engine bays (mine is not stock and not a good example). I also included some pics of my original solenoid I had on file, as I now use a Gillis valve.

Sensor - BCS_Front.jpg Sensor - BCS_Label.jpg Sensor - BCS_Back.jpg

Wastegate-Control_01.jpg Wastegate-Control_02.jpg Wastegate-Control_03.jpg Wastegate-Control_04.jpg
            Ted
            86 SVO Mustang
            17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

Originally posted by svono50 View Post
              Trying to find some 'good' pics in my archives was a bit more challenging than expected. Looks like most folks don't focus on that area of the engine bay very much. Here are some photos I was able to dig up of engine bays (mine is not stock and not a good example). I also included some pics of my original solenoid I had on file, as I now use a Gillis valve.

Sensor - BCS_Front.jpg Sensor - BCS_Label.jpg Sensor - BCS_Back.jpg

Wastegate-Control_01.jpg Wastegate-Control_02.jpg Wastegate-Control_03.jpg Wastegate-Control_04.jpg
              Ted,

That is great. Thanks you so much.

Alex

Comment

Working...
              X