On the hunt for a heater hose…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the hunt for a heater hose…

Tried searching but couldn’t find a good match - I took the SVO out for a pre-hibernation fillup today and got home to it leaking coolant. Sure enough, one of the OE hoses was leaking at the clamp. It looks like 18472-A? From the picture but I can’t be sure. I need to figure out what Gates replaces it as I know these are all EOL.

Any help would be great, thanks y’all.

606F2F7E-3B5A-4B88-A838-137433F3D82F.jpeg
    Attached Files

This is what I replaced mine with, picture one is the stock and picture two is the Gates hoses I used. I work at a parts store so I could select the ones that worked the best for me. If interested I can look thru my build list and find the part numbers. I have a 1984 SVO early with slapper bars.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

I think he is looking for the elbow going from the coolant pipe to thermostat housing...
      85.5 1E in the house.

Comment

I see that now rhat you have pointed it out. My 84 SVO just uses straight hose at the location.
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

because you have a aftermarket (AND EXCELLENT) thermostat housing.
          but wait, after looking closer, your coolant tube has a nice extra bend in it... do tell !
          Eric C
          SVOCA Webmaster

Comment

Originally posted by mrwitty_1 View Post
            This is what I replaced mine with, picture one is the stock and picture two is the Gates hoses I used. I work at a parts store so I could select the ones that worked the best for me. If interested I can look thru my build list and find the part numbers. I have a 1984 SVO early with slapper bars.
            Yes, please share the part numbers. Not a lot of cooperation when you bring old hoses into a parts store and ask them to find something close.
            Thanks, Mike
            PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT / Illinois - Taxation w/o Representation!

Comment

filedata/fetch?filedataid=47132 Another angle, if its helpful…and yes any and all part numbers, Gates or otherwise, would be amazingly helpful.

Comment

https://www.**********/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3415&d=1361041918&thumb=1Part #E4ZE-18472-AA
                Engineering number on part - E6ZZ-18472-E
                Description - water pump - upper

Cross-reference part # on Rockauto comes back as Gates #20338
                Todd
                86 SVO
                2nd owner

Comment

Cheers! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by SVOeric View Post
                    because you have a aftermarket (AND EXCELLENT) thermostat housing.
                    but wait, after looking closer, your coolant tube has a nice extra bend in it... do tell !
                    IIRC there has been mention of a ranger housing at some time, can't remember where I saw it... I'll have to poke around and see if I still have a pic/link/more info...
                    -Eric
                    85 1C, 85.5 1B
                    10 GT Premium
                    01 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

The water outlet is a Four Season 84896, it was a exact match to the original and was even cast iron and not aluminum. Everything is stock on this SVO but it is a early 1984. Man in November 1983.

Comment

Just looked up the Four Seasons part and folks on Amazon certainly didn't like theirs...interesting. Lots of places seem to carry it. The best pics I could find of it were on, of all places, NewEgg. I also found what looks to be the same thing under Dorman 902-1034 as another option. Both options are also carried by RockAuto. Thanx everyone for the info in this thread, good to know.
                        Ted
                        86 SVO Mustang
                        17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

There are a few of the Four Season showing on Ebay that picture the cast iron as old stock, prices are all over the place. I would just ask the seller to make sure it was cast before buying.

Comment

I think that hose was just a regular 1/2" 90* hose. IIRC, I used silicone for that location, so it had to be nothing special. The one below it was about 120*, which is what I used there, also in silicone.

@Mr. Witty - As for the t-stat housing, I am assuming you've finished that project and have successfully-filled the cooling system with coolant? I ask because the t-stat housing on a SVO (at least on our 1986) seems to be specific to the SVO. The thermostat is offset from the mounting bolt holes and a 'regular' Ranger or Pinto housing WILL NOT WORK. I unsuccessfully tried Murray brand, and may have tried one from Four Season from RA, and w/o significant amounts of silicone sealer, that t-stat will be prone to leakage. I ended up finding an ebayer who had a stash of SVO-specific housings and got one. There is a thread on here where I discuss that, and let those on this list know so they could finish buying up the guy's stash.

Be very careful on the installed configuration if using something NOT Motorcraft.

EDIT: Found my posts on the subject:

https://www.svoca.com/forum/forum/sv...and-water-neck
                            Last edited by gbeaird; 12-04-2021, 03:59 PM.
                            Gene Beaird,
                            86 2R SVO, G Stock,
                            Pearland, Texas

Comment

Yes that I have successfully filled the system and had no external leaks or any by passing of the thermostat. I did have trouble with the thermostat sealing as mentioned in your older post but using a Motorcraft RT1140 thermostat it sealed correct without allowing by-pass. I actually checked it with a infrared therometer during warmup to see when it opened. My OE housing was cast iron.

Comment

Working...
                              X