Serpentine conversion for my 86

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serpentine conversion for my 86

Last year I bought a complete serpentine setup from a 1988 Turbocoupe. I finally got around to installing it and am very happy with the results.

First off, it seems that there are differences between certain years components. I think the 1988 TC had a 1 year only alternator and some of the HR980 compressors are different as well. The HR980 compressor I got was different than my 1986 HR980 compressor. One of the mounting tabs is different on the 88 TC compressor that rendered the compressor mounting bracket from the SVO not usable. Since my original HR980 compressor was ruined and the core was bad from a failed clutch pulley I had to use the newer style compressor.

I ended up buying a 1987-1993 2.3L A/C mounting bracket to make it work. I guess the this bracket was not included in my purchase from the seller but it was still worth it. The later model mounting bracket uses a tension pulley as opposed to the bracket that is slotted for adjusting the compressor to put tension on the belts.
    I believe that if I had used the original HR980 compressor and only switched the pulley I would have been able to use the stock SVO mounting bracket and adjusted the serpentine belt via the slotted original bracket....I am not 100% sure and would like some clarification from others if they know...

All, in all it is a nice upgrade and the 1988 alternator is a little better than the externally regulated 86 alternator. I now have the newer power steering pump with remote reservoir as well.

I will try to post some pics as well but just wanted to share my experience

It is VERY nice to have working A/C again....brrrrr

Thanx for the info, looking forward to the pics. I have a box full of serpentine parts I purchased many, many moons ago and have yet to retrofit onto my 86, so any info I can gain into your setup would be nice to have when I finally take the plunge.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

Here are some pics of the serpentine belt conversion. There are two separate serpentine belts. This one uses DUAL idler pulleys (one for each belt). The Air Conditioning is on separate pulleys and isolated from the other components.AC idler.jpg alternator and PS.jpg alternator bracket.jpg front.jpg main idler.jpg side and PS.jpg side view.jpg
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by svono50 View Post
        Thanx for the info, looking forward to the pics. I have a box full of serpentine parts I purchased many, many moons ago and have yet to retrofit onto my 86, so any info I can gain into your setup would be nice to have when I finally take the plunge.
        I posted the pics

Comment

Thanx for the pics, I will certainly reference them when I finally get around to my own project. Since I don't have anything on my project list this winter, it may finally be the year.
          Ted
          86 SVO Mustang
          17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

Nice update, and thanks for the WIP and pictures for added detail. We're STILL on the steering rack project, so not sure this is in our car's future. Would love to do it, though.
            Gene Beaird,
            86 2R SVO, G Stock,
            Pearland, Texas

Comment

FYI

The lower radiator hose "nestles" right along the Air Conditioning mounting bracket. It "IS" in constant contact on a smooth surface. I do not know if that is the way it is designed or not... I am using the stock lower radiator hose for an SVO.

Like I mentioned earlier I used the Turbo Coupe HR980 compressor which the mounting "eyes' were different. The SVO and the Turbo coupe (or at least the year TC I got it from) HR980 compressors are the same except for one of the 3 mounting holes. One of them uses 3 loop type ears on it and the other has 2 loop ears and a flat type hole for the 3rd, therefore I was unable to mount it to the stock SVO adjusting bracket (again as I explained above). I Think that late 1986 the design was changed. I will attach a few pics.

The alternator bracket is a "2" piece design that also serves to mount the power steering pump. Again, I used the Turbo Coupe power steering pump which uses a remote reservoir.

Personally, I like this setup. When I purchased it, I did not know all of what I am posting here and learned a little as I put it together. It was after the fact that I needed to 1987-1993 Air Conditioning bracket. That was when I noticed the difference between the otherwise identical HR980 compressors.

I do like the 2 separate belts bc I can take the A/C out of the loop and still run the car. Maybe good for hot rodders to take 2 pulleys out of the equation for an extra pony or two...LOL

I hope this helps
              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Working...
              X