Assembly line paint marks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assembly line paint marks

I was cleaning my original lower intake manifold as I'm reassembling my car. There are many assembly line paint marks on my car like the green and yellow on the front sway bar etc. But as i was cleaning the intake i noticed a light green squarish dot on the number 2 lower intake runner. 1. Anyone know what that signified on the assembly line? 2. Anyone know where to get the paint or paint marker to replicate it? Im not doing a concours restoration or anything but the car is nice enough to just assemble and be close enough to look like a really nice survivor with a few touch ups.

Thanks
    Ryan

Ryan, I don't know of many folks on here that into that level of detail on our cars, but maybe someone knows. My own guesses are 1) The marks are typically used to signify either assembly completion or a quality inspection point for something that was to be checked and 2) You could look up on the interwebs what kind/types of items can be used to replicate various marks. Finding the 'exact' item that was used on the assembly line back then would be a long shot at best. I am sure concurs type folks out there all have their favorite recommendation.

Having worked in Mfg for the past 28 year (has it really been that long?!?), I have specified many kinds of various marks for process checks/confirmation on the production lines. I have used stickers, decals, markers, grease pencils and paint pens, just to mention a few. Unless there was an external requirement for longevity of the marking to survive longer than the end of the production line or some short time in the warehouse, we have always used what was easily commercially available from one of our MRO suppliers (MSC, Grainger, McMaster-Carr, etc).

You could easily go down to your local hobby or craft store and chose a close match paint pen or other marking instrument, just to keep it simple.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

Awesome sir. I love working on these things and uncovering little nuggets. I told my wife it's like automotive archeology. Just knowing it was there in the first place is half the battle. I agree probably not that hard to replicate the look, but probably hard to find the exact material. Fuzzy panel is a pretty good example of that. You have to kinda reverse engineer it and hope for results that look pretty close.

Comment

Originally posted by cookin86 View Post
        There are many assembly line paint marks on my car like the green and yellow on the front sway bar etc. But as i was cleaning the intake i noticed a light green squarish dot on the number 2 lower intake runner.
        Ryan,

I am into that level of detail, can you share a picture of the "dot"?

Compared to early Mustangs, for example, the SVO does not as many marks. As you stated, the paint marks on the front sway bar, I have seen marks on the cooling fan motor, alternator, "SVO" stamp on steering rack, various marks on rear end, rear end dampener, rear shocks, drive shaft, rear brake calipers, date code stamps on fender lips, tags on front and rear springs, tags on front tie rods, etc., etc.

Comment

Here you go.
          Attached Files

Comment

Interesting. I have not seen/noticed that one before.

Comment

Yesterday i discovered a matching green mark on the upper intake. Ill snap a picture of that one and post in a bit.

Comment

My hypothesis is a change in intake manifolds. Maybe mine is an early 86 so they had both on the shelves or something like that. I know the lowers are different from year to year. I know the later uppers are different from the first year to year and a half, but not sure how 85.5 differs from 86.

Comment

Working...
                X