Scorched insulation; oil, oil everywhere; and dog slow performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scorched insulation; oil, oil everywhere; and dog slow performance

I set the timing, retorqued the head bolts and got it running but not before even more issues arose.

First the oil; if you replace your oil lines with Max PSI units MAKE SURE TO TIGHTEN ALL THE FITTINGS. 'Nuf said.

Next the scorched insulation; I did absolutely nothing in the cabin of the car but there is a heavy smell of burning wires. I have absolutely no idea where it's coming from or what is shorted. This is just like this car, fix one major thing and something else major rears it's head. Fortunately after the initial incident the smell and short seems to have run it's course. I did find a hot wire under the dash that was exposed and sparking but it didn't look like it was burnt. I'll keep searching.

Since I got the timing set I now have to do the cam. It feels *real* weak down low but that may be the A237 cam, big valve ported head and the open combustion chambers. I had a stock cam and closed chamber (heart shaped) non-turbo head on there so maybe I'm used to the higher compression and smaller cam. At any rate it feels real weak from idle until about 5psi of boost then it's OK. I still haven't opened it up to see where the peak power comes on. I'm waiting on an AFR gauge that works with the LC1 wideband I bought. I want to make sure that with the mods I have done I'm not going to blow it up.

Once the AFR is set I'll start playing with the adjustable cam gear to get the cam straight up. I thought I got a great deal on the gear since it was brand new and I paid less than half what CheapHP gets for them. I have since realized that the "A" and "R" are mislabeled. They are on the opposite sides of where they should be! Not a great deal after all.

Edit:

Is the A237 supposed to have a lopey idle? There is an hint of one there but I don't know if it's the cam or a bad tune.
    Last edited by tateg; 06-09-2007, 03:10 PM.

Retarded or advanced?

More on this motor...

I drove it home and found that it was way down on power and there had real low vacuum at idle. Vacuum was so low that the brakes didn't want to stop the car if the RPMs weren't above 1500. I'm assuming the cam is not straight up but is it advanced or retarded? I have to go to Miami tomorrow so later this week I'll try the "E-Bar" method to get it set up right.

How is the vacuum supposed to be with the A237? It's a bigger than stock cam so I assume the vacuum should be lower; but to the point of affecting the accessories?

Comment

The great likelihood is that your cam timing is retarded by a tooth or two. The 237 installed heads up pulls enough vacuum, like 18" or more on an engine in good condition. Look at the sticky thread on cam timing in the engine section. Tons of pics and info there.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat_in_L.A. View Post
        The great likelihood is that your cam timing is retarded by a tooth or two. The 237 installed heads up pulls enough vacuum, like 18" or more on an engine in good condition. Look at the sticky thread on cam timing in the engine section. Tons of pics and info there.
        That's what I figured. The problem is that I have an adjustable cam gear with no corresponding markings to the factory. I did my best to get them the same. Like I said, I'm trying the E-bar method later this week.

Comment

Working...
        X