• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

String

Thanks Eric. I finally get it. Dawn breaks on marble head

Appreciate the photos

Paul
    86' 2R Original Owner "Project Originale"; 86' 2R "Project Bolo" 84' 9W "Project Bondo"; 86 2R "Project Evil" (GONE!); 90' 5.0 LX Vert; 98 Dodge Neon ACR Track Car; 05 SRT-4 ACR! ---"Real tomato ketchup Eddie?"

Comment

That cam gear getcha figured out, Paul?

-Eric
      -Eric
      85 1C, 85.5 1B
      10 GT Premium
      01 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

YUP -- sure is Mike - -the one is off the crank gear as well

I haven't even primed the oil-pump yet, which means the belt has to come off again anyway
        Eric C
        SVOCA Webmaster

Comment

Pic of pry point for belt removal/installation. (Pic by Eric)
          Attached Files

Comment

From the right side

I like to use a flat blade pry bar and come down on the edge of the flat backing plate of the tensioner from the right hand side of the motor (looking at it) I use the alternator top mounting boss as the pivot. This way you don't get any potential pinch points on the belt or the bearing surface of the tensioner. YRMV, Just my $.02. This method assumes that the rear timing cover is MIA like mine is!!!

Eric, sent you a PM..The cam gear is in and hooked up. Thanks!! Almost forgot the blob of silicone on the bolt threads!
            Last edited by Gyrhead; 11-07-2005, 10:36 AM.
            86' 2R Original Owner "Project Originale"; 86' 2R "Project Bolo" 84' 9W "Project Bondo"; 86 2R "Project Evil" (GONE!); 90' 5.0 LX Vert; 98 Dodge Neon ACR Track Car; 05 SRT-4 ACR! ---"Real tomato ketchup Eddie?"

Comment

I prefer to leave the dizzy in (for the exact reason you just said) and do it from the aux pulley.

I've done it both ways, either works.. I did forget to tighten the turbo oil feed line, and lost a little oil because of that -- but no big deal.

My engine is now primed ..

Gyrhead -- I normally use a flat pry-bar as well, with a bend at the end, to hook around the tensioner, but I couldn't find my good pry-bar, and Kurt wanted to see the placment, so I just stuck my breaker bar in there for demonstration purposes.
              Eric C
              SVOCA Webmaster

Comment

Originally posted by GAboySVO
                Pat, those are some very helpful photos and may be deserving of a sticky in the engine section. What do ya think Eric?
                I think that leadphinger needs to look at this revived thread.

Comment

I have s "related" question to all this cam timing stuff. I have an 86 SVO. The tensioner pulley broke off when travelling between Nashville & Cleveland. Many years ago I put in an underdrive pulley set and the darn thing doesn't have an indicator for crank position on it. I have the original pulley, but try as I may, I can't get the bolt lose to get the smaller pulley off! Any tips on getting the crank pulley off? Also, I need to remove that pulley on the timing chain that has some sort of function that I'm not aware of. How does one get that off? (When the tensioner pulley came apart it broke the inner and outer covers).

Thanks,
                  Dante
                  Danté Bell
                  Lakewood, OH

Comment

Hi Mike, my compressor is on the fritz so I'm using a long handled wrench. When I turn the nut, the whole car moves ... tried putting it in every gear and even tried reverse. I'm going to have my wife stand on the brakes and see if this works.

The aux pulley is lose, but it only comes out halfway on the shaft. In the manual they show something like a cam sprocket puller, but I can't make it out! Don't want to pry it off because it looks kindof fragile.

BTW, what is that timing marker for on the aux pulley?

Dante
                    Danté Bell
                    Lakewood, OH

Comment

Home Depot sells a nice impac gun 1/2 drive for $40 that will work. It's the one with the blue cover. If you don't have a compressor they also have a 10 gal. portable compressor that's cheap. You'll need those in the future. You'll never get it loose by hand.
                      85 SVO "Christine" ; CBR954RR CB350 85 VF1000R XR400R CZ 250 Enduro 66 Suzuki X-6 "Hustler"

Comment

I hate to admit it, but long ago, I figured this method out myself --

use a breaker-bar, and wedge it somewhere against the frame-rail. remove the coil wire, Get in the car, and bump the starter (thus the bullett proof equipment isn't needed) this is a good way to end up with a breaker bar through the radiator
                        Eric C
                        SVOCA Webmaster

Comment

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the tips .... I'm just going to head out and get a new compressor and take the thing off that way. I wanted to add a bit more information and run it by you guys. When the tensioner broke, luckily Pep Boys was open (sunday afternoon) and the guys there put it back together with a new tensioner and belt, but had a hard time getting everything in sync because of the lack of a timing indicator on the crank pulley. Well, I drove it back to Cleveland and it seemed really down on power, but ran OK (no missing or rough idle). So when I put the new cover on I took the belt off to replace the inner part of the cover and put it back together the with using the timing mark that many years ago I put on that pulley. Now it idles like crap, won't accelerate and the boost comes up really, really fast as does the fuel pressure and it backfires (sometimes) when you let of the gas abruptly. That's why I'm thinking that the cam and crank are out of sync again. What are your thoughts?
                          Danté Bell
                          Lakewood, OH

Comment

Just wanted to say appreciate this sticky.Been fighting with gettin the replacement motor in the svo an needless to say found that the multi position cam gear i got had my timing all screwed up.Im gonna try an snap a photo tommorow of it.Anyhow when i thought i was running 2 degrees advanced seems i was running a whole lot more<wouldnt start>placed it back to zero car fired right up.

Comment

Working...
                            X