2.5" Tailpipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.5" Tailpipes

Spent my entire Saturday putting these LMR 2.5" tailpipes back on the SVO. About 15 years ago, I got a deal on 2.5" Dynomax Ultraflow mufflers, and had the stock 2.25" tailpipes welded back on. Well, those stock tailpipes rusted to nothing over the axle (175k miles), and for about a year I've been running simple turn downs (very boomy). These were their 'economy' $152 pipes (quality control on the height of the hangers near the tips suffered, they were 1/2" off each other), and first blush didn't look so bad, so I finished polishing the tips so they look very retro. I really like the 2.5" look:

IMG_2680[1].jpg

BTW, when I got them, one tip was pretty scratched up for some reason (packaging looked fine). Called LMR, sent them pics of the damage and the boxes, and 3 days later had another set on my doorstep (and they didn't want anything back). Good dealings.
    86 SVO
    89 LX 5.0
    88 Saleen 351-blown
    99 Saleen

Looks good. I love polished exhaust tips on a fox chassis mustang.
    86 SVO 1C

Comment

If you didn't mention they weren't the stock pipes, it would be almost impossible to tell, they do look good! I still have my stock pipes, but only the stainless portions as the over the axle portion was getting a bit holy and I replaced that portion with some Walker bits.
      Ted
      86 SVO Mustang
      17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

I just finished stripping and polished an extra set of stock wheels (not the best in the world, but it'll do), and I think that will set it off with the tailpipes after the 'all black' home made paint job.

IMG_2684[1].jpg
        Attached Files
        86 SVO
        89 LX 5.0
        88 Saleen 351-blown
        99 Saleen

Comment

Looking good, keep up the work!
          Ted
          86 SVO Mustang
          17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

I installed the same LMR "discount" pipes about 7-8 years ago, they still look good, but...had a helluva time getting them positioned just right over the axle without contact rattles, the bend was not the same as OE.
            How was your fit / alignment?
            "If there's no plan, what can go wrong...?"

Comment

The fit was 'all right' at best. The pipes are thicker than I would of imagined, took me 5 HD sawzall blades to makes all of the cuts I had do since I subscribe to the 'don't measure and cut 3 times' logic it appears. Will probably have to go through it again once everything settles and starts rubbing.
              86 SVO
              89 LX 5.0
              88 Saleen 351-blown
              99 Saleen

Comment

I Installed the same set. I took them to a local muffler shop. We still had to work with them, h
                ad to modify the hangers also.
                but I think they turned out pretty good. Sure can't beat the price. I like that they are stainless the full length.

WIN_20200421_17_42_36_Pro.jpgWIN_20200421_17_42_21_Pro.jpg
                Todd
                86 SVO
                2nd owner

Comment

Working...
                X