Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stock Radio picture

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Stock Radio picture

    I am restoring my 86 SVO and one of the things I am working on is the radio. I have managed to source a working premium sound radio that is missing one of the pigtails. I am looking for a picture of the rear of the stock radio pigtail and a picture of mounting. IF someone can email them to me at draco24433@gmail.com, I would greatly appreciate it.

    Alex

  • #2
    I have a stock radio up in my stash-o-parts, let me pull it down to get a pic of the wires. I will see if I can find some reference to how it mounts into the dash, been too long since I had mine out.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by svono50 View Post
      I have a stock radio up in my stash-o-parts, let me pull it down to get a pic of the wires. I will see if I can find some reference to how it mounts into the dash, been too long since I had mine out.
      I would greatly appreciate it. I am looking forward to getting the vehicle back as the way it came from the factory.

      Comment


      • #4
        I also have a stock 86 radio that is out. It still has the wiring and mounting bracket. We can compare to what Ted has. They should be the same. Mike
        PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT / Illinois - Taxation w/o Representation!

        Comment


        • #5
          These are some pics of the radio I took last year. If you need any additional detail pics, let me know and I can take a few more.

          The top brackets extend forward and you access those from in front of the face plate, under the lip of the lower dash. If I remember right, there is another bracket that hangs down that the rear bracket stud goes into. To get the radio out you have to not only remove those (3) fasteners, the electrical harnesses and antenna lead, but also a bracket to the driver's side under the dash. From there, it takes a very specific rotation of the unit to get it in/out of the cavity of the dash. If done correctly, you can do it without doing any damage to the front faceplate of the radio, but it takes some creative thinking and patience to get it right.

          Radio - Rear_01.jpg Radio - Side_01.jpg Radio - Top_01.jpg
          Ted
          86 SVO Mustang
          17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by svono50 View Post
            These are some pics of the radio I took last year. If you need any additional detail pics, let me know and I can take a few more.

            The top brackets extend forward and you access those from in front of the face plate, under the lip of the lower dash. If I remember right, there is another bracket that hangs down that the rear bracket stud goes into. To get the radio out you have to not only remove those (3) fasteners, the electrical harnesses and antenna lead, but also a bracket to the driver's side under the dash. From there, it takes a very specific rotation of the unit to get it in/out of the cavity of the dash. If done correctly, you can do it without doing any damage to the front faceplate of the radio, but it takes some creative thinking and patience to get it right.

            Radio - Rear_01.jpg Radio - Side_01.jpg Radio - Top_01.jpg
            Ted,

            Thanks so much. My radio is missing the pigtail or rather the plug where the yellow wires are in the last picture. Again, Thanks so much for the help!

            Alex

            Comment


            • #7
              That is your power feeds to the unit, so kind of important. Do you have a schematic to get things sorted out? Let me know if you do.
              Ted
              86 SVO Mustang
              17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by svono50 View Post
                That is your power feeds to the unit, so kind of important. Do you have a schematic to get things sorted out? Let me know if you do.
                Ted,

                I do not. If you could please help, it would be greatly appreciated.

                Alex

                Comment


                • #9
                  No problem, here are the relevant pages from the Ford EVTM on our electronic radio. Hope this helps.

                  Manual - EVTM_86 Mustang_pg68_Radio.jpg Manual - EVTM_86 Mustang_pg127_Radio.jpg Manual - EVTM_86 Mustang_pg67_Radio.jpg
                  Ted
                  86 SVO Mustang
                  17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by svono50 View Post
                    No problem, here are the relevant pages from the Ford EVTM on our electronic radio. Hope this helps.

                    Manual - EVTM_86 Mustang_pg68_Radio.jpg Manual - EVTM_86 Mustang_pg127_Radio.jpg Manual - EVTM_86 Mustang_pg67_Radio.jpg
                    Ted,

                    Thank you so much. This will certainly help me a lot. i will be working on it this weekend and will elt you know what I find ,

                    Alex

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Is there any of the pig tail left? IIRC you can get those ends. It should be the same thing that would come in an installation kit for an aftermarket radio. I also replaced the body side in my 85 as the p.o. had an aftermarket stereo that got stolen and they cut the wires...
                      -Eric
                      85 1C, 85.5 1B
                      10 GT Premium
                      01 Jeep Wrangler

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Erics SVO View Post
                        Is there any of the pig tail left? IIRC you can get those ends. It should be the same thing that would come in an installation kit for an aftermarket radio. I also replaced the body side in my 85 as the p.o. had an aftermarket stereo that got stolen and they cut the wires...
                        Eric,

                        I bought Metra part # 70-1772 which I believe will help me with the radio installation. I will let you know how it goes. I hope to do it this weekend.

                        Alex

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Update on the radio. I worked on the mess of wiring that I have on the vehicle. Whoever installed the aftermarket radio really did a number. I have reconnected the wires for the radio pigtails. While there, I started to remove all of the additional nonstock speaker wires and I came across the fact that the stock amplifier is no longer there. There is an aftermarket one, albeit very small. I had to remove the a/c control panel and found more cut cables which I will be working on tomorrow. Let's see how that goes. Does anyone have a picture of the interior opening for the radio? I am trying to identify how the radio is held once in its place.

                          Alex

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            That is a bummer that they hacked in the job, not too surprising unfortunately. As for how the radio is held in, it is held in place with the top two tabs that extend out over the radio face (see my third pic above). Those screws go in up through the dash into the brackets. I also believe there is a rear bracket that goes onto the stud on the back of the radio and goes up into the dash structure somewhere, can't really remember how it all goes. The face of the radio is just setting against the back side of the opening on the dash, with the placement held by the (3) fasteners. Make sense?
                            Ted
                            86 SVO Mustang
                            17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              OK. I found this which I suppose goes to the missing stock amplifier. Can anyone tell me what they go to? Do they go to the speakers or where? 4 Wires.jpeg

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X