Finished up my SVP replacement spats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished up my SVP replacement spats

So guess I suffered what most 86 owners have or will be suffering when their spats bite the dust, almost literally! If you look at them, they start cracking. I went through a futile effort to route the cracks with a die grinder and fill with marine epoxy. Then I was going to fiberglass the underside. Finally I said f-it, let's just find replacements!

20220604_120024.jpg

Someone had used on Ebay for $500, but SVP had their fiberglass replacements for about $240. Went that route but had the labor and materials to add. Originally I had some fitment issues, but Paul at SVP gave me some tips, like using a heat gun to soften and reshape the edges. Ended up pretty happy with the fit and I got the paint to come out nice as well, IMHO. As long as I don't smash into something, they should last a long time.

20220604_115944.jpg 20220604_131526.jpg

Speaking of paint, I purchased aerosol paints from LMR, the Dark Gray/SVO Gray 84-86 SVO MET-FV19 and their SVO exterior trim gray MET-EXT-01. The interior gray was too dark and exterior gray did not match the exterior trim either. I'm like back and forth with emails and photos to their tech support. I finally just compared the interior dark gray to the exterior trim and it matched! This is what I used on the spats. See comparison to molding here. Not bad.

20220603_144618.jpg

Here's comparison to interior trim with sample I sprayed. Too dark. The tech guy at LMR said this color matches their SVO. Anyone know if there are darker trim interiors, like maybe for leather or in particular years? To their credit, LMR did give me a refund on the exterior paint that matched nothing. I have a gage pod now with mismatched paint. If someone has an interior paint that's good, would like to hear it.

20220603_095638.jpg

Attached Files

Originally posted by rickshaw View Post

Here's comparison to interior trim with sample I sprayed. Too dark. The tech guy at LMR said this color matches their SVO. Anyone know if there are darker trim interiors, like maybe for leather or in particular years? To their credit, LMR did give me a refund on the exterior paint that matched nothing. I have a gage pod now with mismatched paint. If someone has an interior paint that's good, would like to hear it.

20220603_095638.jpg

Just a thought... did you compare the sprayed sample to the "backside" of the interior trim part(s)? Need to be careful with trying to match up to faded interior parts. I have found that when looking at an original interior, it can be hard to notice the gradual fading from one area to another.

I had my local PPG dealer create a mix that matches the backside of the part(s) and then I simply resprayed all of the front sides to match.

Comment

Those came out great, I hope mine end up that good! My 86 spats are being held together with the protective tape that my body shop put on them during my 1998 repaint, surprised they haven't fallen off this year yet (knocking on wood). The gray match is pretty much spot on to your rocker trim.

The interior gray in our cars actually has many shades, so getting a perfect match is going to be near impossible. With that said, I have used Duplicolor's Vinyl & Fabric paint in Charcoal Gray (HVP111) with good results

https://www.duplicolor.com/product/v...abric-coating/

My dash pad and fuzzy dash panels were redone with the Duplicolor paint. The dash pad turned black/green many moons ago and the fuzzy panels also decided to turn dark green and the Duplicolor rattle can did the trick to bring them back to a much more pleasing look. The flash in the pics makes all the colors mis-match a bit more than in person and in normal daylight, especially on the gauge pod. The gauge pod was shot with Ford's AL81 exterior acrylic spray lacquer in charcoal gray, so I feel the Duplicolor is a better match to the interior panels.

Dash - SVO_2001_03.jpg<-- what the painted dash pad looked like compared to the untouched fuzzy panel back in 2001.
      Dash - SVO_painted_03.jpg<-- what the painted fuzzy panel looked like after a few coats of the Duplicolor back in 2020.
      SVOmod-guagepodfull_02.jpg <-- the difference between the gauge pod and a-pillar are not as noticeable in daylight to the naked eye.
      Last edited by svono50; 06-09-2022, 10:59 PM.
      Ted
      86 SVO Mustang
      17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

The spats look great. Funny LMR gave me the same answer when I told them the ACC carpet they sell for SVOs doesn't match. Their answer on the phone.."it matches the SVO we have and it's stock carpet." Sure....It wasn't close to the color of my 7B SVO which only had teen K miles.
        PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT / Illinois - Taxation w/o Representation!

Comment

Your new spats look great. I was lucky enough to find a set of E4 spats years ago.
          So when my original 86 spats crumbled, I just replaced them with the used ones I had.
          JT
          86 SVO 1C

Comment

Originally posted by svono50 View Post
            Those came out great, I hope mine end up that good! My 86 spats are being held together with the protective tape that my body shop put on them during my 1998 repaint, surprised they haven't fallen off this year yet (knocking on wood). The gray match is pretty much spot on to your rocker trim.

<SNIP>.
            They literally just fall off. Walked into the shop where they were starting the body work on our car, and one spat was laying on the shop floor. The owner said it wasn't like that that afternoon.

IIRC, a couple of days later, the other one fell to the floor. They're attached to the car until they're not. =8-0

Interestingly, we had the same thing happen to the bumper extensions on our 79 Seville. They just crumbled and fell to the floor. It's a shame Paul doesn't do those, as I'm told the 'glass replacements for the Seville require a LOT of fitting.
            Gene Beaird,
            86 2R SVO, G Stock,
            Pearland, Texas

Comment

svono50, yes I sprayed on the back side of trim also, like those little pieces you take out to get access to the spats, which btw are a sob to squeeze you hand into with 1/4" ratchet! So color is too dark, at least for my car. Guy I bought it from kept it garaged. Had 18k on odo. Don't think it has faded much. Proof will be to meet up with some other SVO owners to compare. Will be joining SEMichMustangOwnersClub soon.

Also thanks for the Duplicolor recommendation.

The LMR interior gray on my gage pod looked like this.

86 SVO interior color 2.jpg
              So then I used the exterior gray

gauge pod in SVO (2).jpg
              Which I don't like, so I want to repaint with something next week as this is coming off to replace the boost gage with the Snow Performance WMI controller.

Guy that ends up hoarding spats will make a fortune some day ;-)

Comment

Paul also has a very good interior paint that matches great!
                -Eric
                85 1C, 85.5 1B
                10 GT Premium
                01 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Originally posted by Erics SVO View Post
                  Paul also has a very good interior paint that matches great!
                  Pretty sure Paul's paint is what we used on our car. So far, the match has been good. You _really_ have to clean the surfaces, though, so that it sticks. IIRC, acetone did the trick on ours, but I think it at one time was treated with something like Armorall.
                  Gene Beaird,
                  86 2R SVO, G Stock,
                  Pearland, Texas

Comment

I'll have to check with Paul but in the meantime resprayed with Dupli-color TB102 dark charcoal. Think this is the 4th spray color I've tried. Sort of blew the budget on paint just for a gage pod. Can tolerate this for awhile.
                    20220617_165039.jpg
                    On the other hand, I did find a pair of used spats recently.
                    Might try adding some buttons to mine ;-))
                    spats.jpg

Comment

Working...
                    X