Thread: Replacement fan

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E

Replacement fan

Driving the SVO, got stuck in traffic, and the old temp gauge started getting warmer and warmer....

pulled over (close by carwash) -- no fan... smacked the fan a few times, and poof, it kicked on.
    TIME to replace this thing.

So I get home, and jump on the internet, and start looking to see what fantastic direct replacement fans have been produced for the FOX Mustang. nearly fell over when I found ALMOST nothing.

Understand that I don't consider a fan held on with zip-ties, or plastic run through the tubes of the radiator a good replacement.

The only decent fan I found was on ebay (I checked all the typical mustang sales sites)
    here's a pic, It's from a company called superadiator.

I'll let you know what I think of it when I get it in and installed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fans.jpg  
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: 86 1C
    Interesting, pretty cheap too. I wonder what the inrush and running current is on those fans, hopefully you can get a reading of some sort. Looking forward to your review.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

yeah, without CFM info, as well as power info, I wasn't willing to spend a ton on it.
    A little photo-magic, it's not perfect, but looks like each fan has a sticker that says 12V 80W (could be 60, but I'll go with the worst-case 80). Assuming that's 12 volts and 80 watts...

fancy googling shows :
    The current I in amps (A) is equal to the power P in watts (W), divided by the voltage V in volts (V):
    I(A) = P(W) / V(V)

Math is hard, and I'm lazy, so I looked up a calculator.
    If those numbers are correct, it uses about 6.6 amps per fan.

So I'm probably not kicking both fans off at the same time, but if I remember correctly the stock fan uses about 14 amps at start-up, so it wouldn't be out of the question
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

That rating should be the running amps, but your inrush current could be pretty high depending on the internal resistance across the motor. I would make sure you have an inline fuse in the power circuit and start with a single fan rather than hitting both to see what these things end up pulling before full connection. Hate to have you damage anything electrical.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

it will certainly be fused, and relayed.
    I'm looking at electronic fan controllers now, (planned to be my next review). I'm planning to have a setup where fan 1 kicks on at X temp, and fan 2 kicks on at X+10 temp.

I don't want to get into it too much here, but again, I'm again pretty disappointed in what's available for aftermarket fan controllers. With today's automation and tech that's available on a 3X3 inch board, it just not that hard to run the stock ECM sending unit into the fan controller, then feed that same voltage into an output on the controller to feed the ECM. You then have all the info you need to control the fan properly, as the ECM would without cheap plastic push-in radiator temp sensors, or adding additional un-needed temp sensors in places that aren't optimal for sensing temps...

I'm off my rant box now... but sometimes think, ya know, if I hadn't built a pretty nice paying career in call-center technology (my tech handles every aspect of a customer interaction with the call-center from the time the customer dials, clicks chat on a website, or texts) I could have become a hundredaire (like a millionaire only less...) building tech for cars that it looks like no one else has thought of.
    Maybe when I retire
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

I know what you mean from a controller standpoint, it has always been a 'weak' point in the aftermarket for some reason. Try to find a non-OEM sensor that will trigger at a lower than 'normal' temp and get back to me or simply bang your head against a wall...similar result. I deal with all kinds of automated controls here at work, not directly but from a specification standpoint, and it is pretty easy for my control guys to get something either directly off the shelf or simply use a flash controller to simulate what you need and not for very much $$. Good luck on your project and looking forward to your final system design/review.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

It's here

So the fan assembly came in today. First impressions are it looks pretty good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6245.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	249.8 KB 
ID:	44612 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6246.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	231.5 KB 
ID:	44613

Fans seem sturdy, and the mounting plate/bracket is well made.

Name:	DSC_6252.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	242.4 KB 
ID:	44614 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6253.jpg 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	44615
    Boxed and welded corners make this thing stronger than I expected. I was concerned with rattle as the engine ran, but with the bolt locations provided, this thing shouldn't move an millimeter.
    I can't speak to how well it lines up with the existing bolt holes, but that will come in the next steps of the review.

Name:	DSC_6255.jpg 
Size:	244.3 KB 
ID:	44617

The fans look nice, so I had to test one out. Plugging one into a 12V battery, with my multi-meter in-line showed running amperage at about 6 amps, with startup at about 12 amps. Much less than many of the other aftermarket fans, however these are only 11 inch fans.

Name:	DSC_6257.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	232.6 KB 
ID:	44616
    The kit comes with 15 inches of wire from each fan, with standard round plug-connectors on them. This is the one place I was a bit disappointed, but it was what I expected. I had hoped that maybe it would come with couple of big fancy weather tight connectors.

I don't have a good way to test total amount of air moved by the fans (CFM), but in my estimation, a single fan moves a little more air than the stock SVO fan. I suspect with both fans running, it will easily out perform the stock fan.

I still have the fit and finish portion of the review to write, but at this moment, I'm pretty happy with this $90 fan assembly. Will write more once it's plugged in and working.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

This is the fit and finish portion of the product review.

Unfortunately, this fan assembly doesn't finish as I'd hoped.

So right off, I'm expecting 'direct fit' because the website lists this part as fitting all mustangs 79-93.
    holding up the fan, you can see, this don't work out.

Name:	fan3.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	44621

Digging a little deeper, (NO instructions of any kind included, but this was expected) this fan assembly is meant to mount directly to the radiator.
    As you can see, there's a metal support bar going down the center of the radiator.

Name:	svo_radiator.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	207.8 KB 
ID:	44622

I contact the company, they tell me they've sold hundreds of these, and never had one 'not fit'. They did offer to accept a return, in which they paid freight, so I can't complain about that.
    I've got 2 options now. modify the shroud to go around the support bar, or send it back, and look for another option.
    An hour on the internet found nothing that jumped out as being any better than what I had in my hands, so I decided to modify it to fit.
    5 minutes with a tape-measure, and pencil, and I've got the cut marked out.
    10 minutes with a hack-saw (dull blade) and both sides are notched
    3 minutes with a round file, to round out the edges, and we're all ready to try it on.

Name:	shroud_notch.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	215.2 KB 
ID:	44623
    Fit looks pretty good, and unless you get inside the engine bay, you can't see the notch, as it's covered by the 'tang' the support rod attaches to. The shroud is dropped a bit low in this pic, to show the notch. This was during my test-fit, so a few hits with a round file make the notch look a little cleaner before install.

Now I attach the top mounting hardware, and all looks good. Pull the car up on ramps , so I can slide under the front end to mount up the bottom hardware, and UGH....
    The shroud is 1/4 inch short.
    Using some extra aluminium I have, I cut out 2 3X2 inch strips, with a notch for the fan to sit in. adding a large washer, it now holds the fan in place as it should. No pics of this fancy adapter, as I was upside down on my back, and grumpy while attaching.

The finished product looks pretty decent. This pic is a little dark, but I'll get a better one to add shortly.

Name:	shroud_install.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	240.1 KB 
ID:	44624

Far as product review goes...

product quality - 9
    product fit ------ 3
    easy of install -- 4
    overall -----------5

It's not a hard install, but when something is listed as 'fits 79-93 -all'
    it should fit without cutting, grinding, and making brackets.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

Quote Originally Posted by SVOeric View Post
    <snip>
    It's not a hard install, but when something is listed as 'fits 79-93 -all'
    it should fit without cutting, grinding, and making brackets.
    Well, at least without a small asterisk or something stating that some modifications may be necessary depending on the radiator. I can't seem to remember my stock style radiator having that center tie-rod...need to check mine out now. Even so, that was the easy part of the adaptation, the brackets are a bigger deal. Glad you had something laying around, that would be a pain in the rump part of it, but it does seem to have a decent fit overall. Let us know how it works in some daily driving.

BTW, how deep is that assy (i.e.- from the rear face of the radiator to the outside of the fan motor case)?? Looks like it would free up some space.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

6 PSI Boost
    Eric - Could you tell me how your fan is holding up after 6 years? And were you able to find a switch that turned it on at say 200 degrees and then maybe at 210 degrees?

fan is still in great shape.

My original controller that had a probe that went into the radiator hose -- eh -- it didn't last so well.

I did find a fan controller that works great, only issue, IT'S BEEN DISCONTINUED.

The SPAL controller plugs into your existing cooling temp sensor.
    to set it up, you start the car
    then -- you put the controller in setup mode
    you push the SET button when reaches the temp you want the first fan to kick on (that temp could be 155 if you want)
    if it's a single fan, you skip the next line
    push the set button when the temp reaches where you want the 2nd fan to kick on
    the controller can also do 'ramp up' -- as in start slow, and spin faster as the temperature gets hotter.

If you can find one of those controllers, I highly recommend it.

You may still be able to get the controller, if you buy a SPAL fan--
    https://www.spalusa.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PXL_20210429_175529251.jpg  
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

6 PSI Boost
    Thanks for the update, Eric. That FANPWMV3 fan controller looks like just the ticket for the SVO application. I will do some searching to see what is available. I picked up a double fan with a shroud off ebay... similar to the one you purchased years ago. I have an aluminum radiator and will have to modify the brackets to make the fan work. I'll post some pics after I get it up and running.

sounds good, do your own how-to & product review ! looking forward to seeing it
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster