Thread: oil cooler

6 PSI Boost

oil cooler

I rescued this 1986 SVO from Arizona. It had a blown head gasket and has been sitting for 13 years. I can't even begin to talk about all of the surprises I have found. Bad vacuum lines, bad wiring, heater core...I am really mad at myself; I should have pressure tested the cooling system before starting my newly rebuilt engine; Immediately upon start up all of the oil pumped into the cooling system. I pulled off the oil cooler and pressure tested it, and sure enough, it is toast. What a mess. Where can I get one? There is an NOS one on ebay for $500. Is this the going rate? Is there any other source? Mark in San Diego;
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_7631[2].jpg   DSC_7536[1].jpg   DSC_7529[1].jpg   DSC_7530[1].jpg   DSC_7541[1].jpg  

DSC_7525[1].jpg   DSC_7524[1].jpg  

SVO's: 84 U3
    Hi Mark. Nice project. Car is looking great. My first SVO was silver. It was a 1984. Had it back in 1988.
    I might have a used one. I'd need to look.
    Mike
    PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT / Illinois - Taxation w/o Representation!

SVO's: '86 2R
    That was one of the things that gave me pause when updating the cooling system on out 86. It looks like a pretty standard bolt-on oil cooler adapter, but how does it attach to the block?
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    Gene;
    there is a big 'bolt' that goes into the center that holds it on to the block -- that said, -- if he is mixing coolant and oil, his cooler has a bad spot in it, that has rusted through inside.
    here's a pic -- (courtesy of PPI) http://www.performancepartsinc.com/images/ssocbolt.jpg

Sorry Prime-time, I wouldn't have pressure tested mine either. -- file that under, sometime crap happens

so there are a few options--
    1-- there is one on ebay for $499.00 (plus shipping, that price don't even get you free shipping!!) if you're not on drugs, read the other options
    2-- hopefully someone here has one to offer up
    3-- call PPI (the guy in the link above) chance he might have one
    4-- call SVPU. I suspect he might have one
    4-- last -- I have a spare I could be convinced to part with, but I suck at selling stuff, so use me as a last ditch effort.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    oh -- forgot to mention -- if you DO want to start your engine and let it run a bit... you can just use a bit of 3/8 inch pipe (I think that's the size of the hoses for the oil cooler, might be 1/2) and clamp the 2 hoses together, and plug the oil filter directly onto the block.

You're not going to cook the engine bu running without the oil cooler.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    You can buy them from this company. www.kuehler-rath.de

I paid 122 euro for the last one I purchased + shipping. That's about $150 USD.

You can reach them here: florian.rath@kuehler-rath.de

Universal oil cooler (1A12356)
    Product no.: 8641903
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT