Recommendation for hood struts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendation for hood struts

Considering either the Redline Tuning or MRT hood strut/lift kits. The Redline requires drilling and pop riveting the brackets whereas MRT is bolt on but is also $50 more expensive. Interested in any member experience, pro or con.

I wouldn't trust something that will be subject to the stresses that hood lifts can generate to pop rivets. It looks like the MRT system uses existing bolt locations utilizing the bolts used to secure the fenders to the to the body, right? If so, that's the route I'd take. Don't cheap out on this.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Comment

Read this and was interested. Went on LMR’s site and saw this note:
      • Fits 1979-1993 Mustang (EXCL. 84-86 SVO)
      Dan

Comment

I had the MRT kit because I didn't want to drill into my hood and liked the idea of using the factory fasteners. Problem #1: There is an interference issue between the gas strut and some wiring/hoses by the strut towers and Problem #2: The struts couldn't hold the weight of our SVO hood...so of they came and I sold them to a 5.0L Fox owner. I think the only hood struts I have seen on other SVO's are the Redline units, but I could be mistaken.
        Ted
        86 SVO Mustang
        17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

Ok, thanks guys, confirmed LMR kit, although bolt on, does not work with SVO hood weight. Dan, you saw it, where I missed it, on LMR. I've been in contact with Redline, so I'll go back to ask specifically about SVO. I can tell you if I used SS rivets with my super duty 1/4" riveter, that sucker won't come loose. Been riveting rigging on sailboats for years!

Comment

All mods we're doing to our SVO, we're doing with the idea of being able to fully-reverse them. Drilling extra holes in things is not part of that scenerio. I'd be extra pi$$ed if I drilled the holes and discovered the issues noted above.

I've used rivets before, both 'pop' style and the ones you peen in, so know there are different materials they use, but my first thought on the kit with pop rivets was it was probably cheap, so wouldn't hold up. I haven't a clue as to the construction or quality of the rivet-in kit, but it didn't sound that great. If it is, that's cool. I'd never do it, though, but that's just me.

We 'added lightness' with a glass hood, so the factory prop rod is perfect.
            Last edited by gbeaird; 05-20-2022, 01:19 PM.
            Gene Beaird,
            86 2R SVO, G Stock,
            Pearland, Texas

Comment

Hey, so yes, slightly adverse to drilling holes as I'm trying to maintain 'stock like' appearance. But in the event some potential future buyer is totally put off by this, I can revert back to prop rod and just put rivets to fill the holes and paint them black. Guess that same guy won't like I painted or power coated all the formerly rusty parts like axle, sway bars, brackets, etc. Lol.

I ordered up the Redline struts after talking with the owner. Very responsive to my inquiry and just happens to be in Ann Arbor, MI about 40 minutes from me. He said if struts can't hold up my hood, even though he expects them to, they have higher pressure shocks to substitute and I can bring car by their shop to help me. So I will post the install here, or start a new one.

Also, I have been working with Scott Rod on a SVO specific front head light/radiator cover panel. He sent me templates to modify for this. I will leave out the prop rod and clip holes since plan to use the hood lifts. This will be the extent of my under hood beautification. No wire relocations. Photo shows what this is like for regular Fox 4-eye application.

fox_rtb_4eyed (2).jpg

Comment

I installed the Redline kit # 21-11012-02 today. Took maybe an hour. Struts have no problem holding up hood. Hood is lifted higher than with prop rod, but his could be altered by mounting the hood brackets further forward. Action is progressive supporting some load as you lift and maybe 2/3 the way up, you can let go. There is a slow down at farthest extension for a soft landing. All in all pleased. Incidentally, the hood brackets used long grip 3/16" steel pop rivets which made good use of the HD rivet tool. Some paint touch up was needed after assembly as powder coating on a rivet head chipped and I managed to get some other marks. Sort of par for the course. Photo details below

20220526_162853.jpg 20220526_150910.jpg 20220526_162905.jpg
                20220526_162839.jpg

Comment

Nice, clean install!

Gene Beaird,
                  86 2R SVO, G Stock,
                  Pearland, Texas

Comment

Keep us posted if the struts hold up to the heat under a turbo hood.

Bruce

Comment

I've got the MRTs on a HOFibertrend glass hood and it works great. It holds up the rear of the hoods just a bit is the closed position, but with a metal hood, it should work without issue.
                      Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
                      '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
                      '96 300ZXTT

Comment

Originally posted by GAboySVO View Post
                        I've got the MRTs on a HOFibertrend glass hood and it works great. It holds up the rear of the hoods just a bit is the closed position, but with a metal hood, it should work without issue.
                        Hmmm, we have a HO Fibertrends hood.......
                        Gene Beaird,
                        86 2R SVO, G Stock,
                        Pearland, Texas

Comment

If you contact Redline, they have specific struts of various lift force they can spec. You can ask their advice. Love going prop rodless. Just finished installing
                          Scott Rod radiator cover panels today. Will do a separate post with more details.
                          20220609_112423.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by rickshaw View Post
                            If you contact Redline, they have specific struts of various lift force they can spec. You can ask their advice. Love going prop rodless. Just finished installing
                            Scott Rod radiator cover panels today. Will do a separate post with more details.
                            20220609_112423.jpg
                            Looks great!
                            85.5 1E in the house.

Comment

Working...
                            X