Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MikeFleming
    Replace that oil cooler also.
    Very good advice, spoke with the engine rebuilder this afternoon and he mentioned the exact same thing. Actually he was a bit more specific "throw your existing oil cooler in the garbage".....
    86 SVO 1C

Comment

Do you need another one then? Or do you have a spare?
      My wife says it's a sickness...what do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaBOY View Post
        Do you need another one then? Or do you have a spare?
        I'll let you know. I'm pretty sure I have one.
        86 SVO 1C

Comment

Yowza! Shrapnel!
          -Eric
          85 1C, 85.5 1B
          10 GT Premium
          01 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Are you trying to say that the oil filter wont filter that little bit of bearing wear?

Joe if ya need anything call us "parts plus"

-RICH-

PS are ya going to drive it to the 2010 reunion or do ya wanna fly in?
            < - - - Brothers From Different Mothers

Comment

Originally posted by SVO4PWR2 View Post
              Are you trying to say that the oil filter wont filter that little bit of bearing wear?

Joe if ya need anything call us "parts plus"

-RICH-
              Got a used crank lying around???

Originally posted by SVO4PWR2 View Post
              PS are ya going to drive it to the 2010 reunion or do ya wanna fly in?

86 SVO 1C

Comment

Got a used crank lying around???
                yes i do ... its yours i'll see what i can do about getting it up there

-RICH-
                < - - - Brothers From Different Mothers

Comment

Interesting - I was looking at the block and noticed the casting # is RF-E3EZ-6015 indicating the block is an "83 part. The VIN stamp on the block is very hard to read, but it looks like the first 2 letters and following 3 digits match my dash VIN, so it's original to the car.....
                  86 SVO 1C

Comment

Originally posted by JTurbo View Post
                    Interesting - I was looking at the block and noticed the casting # is RF-E3EZ-6015 indicating the block is an "83 part. The VIN stamp on the block is very hard to read, but it looks like the first 2 letters and following 3 digits match my dash VIN, so it's original to the car.....
                    E3EF is just the casting #, not a date code.. 6015 is the base # for all engine blocks.. Cool to see that you have the original block..

Dave
                    Last edited by DAVEZ84SVO; 10-27-2009, 01:24 PM.
                    84 SVO 9W #3537 6th fastest @ '09 autocross

Comment

ummm.. isn't the RF stamp a indication that it's a replacment part ?
                      Eric C
                      SVOCA Webmaster

Comment

Originally posted by SVOeric View Post
                        ummm.. isn't the RF stamp a indication that it's a replacment part ?
                        Not sure. I also looked at my spare short block (supposedly from a Merkur) and it has the same casting number.....
                        86 SVO 1C

Comment

I would have that rod resized too .

Comment

Originally posted by DRAGPAK View Post
                            I would have that rod resized too .
                            I'm pretty sure the rod is toast. So I'm expecting to just get a new one...
                            86 SVO 1C

Comment

I went looking for my Chevy Rods to see how we machined them -too hard to do right now!

I can't by the photo's
                              Is the crank "cut" to produce the "ridge" at the sides? (or a result of the bearing walking?)

Are the sportsmans designed to go either way? on the crank -OR ONLY ONE WAY/and this was the only journal wrong?

Mark

P.S. Although I understand the wish to have the piston to rod ratio change - it doesn't seem to pay off cosidering the cost, machining and "benefit" in stock applicaitons. Then again while everyone else was tring 2.5/3.0 15 years ago , I was assembling 2.1 and "thinking" 1.9 would be better!
                              Mark

Comment

Mark, not sure what you are asking. The short block is already stripped, bagged and loaded into the back of the Tahoe for transport.

The rods used in the engine are Manley p/n 14117-4 Modified Ford 2.3L 5.7" C-C. The crank journals had to be cut to accept the rod/bearing. Since the engine spun a rod bearing the last time, it was either go with a replacement crank or cut the original crank. So we opted to cut the original crank and use these rods for better strength.
                                86 SVO 1C

Comment

Working...
                                X